4 replies to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

this will be of limited interest to actual londoners but non-londoners interested in whisky will be excited to know that it's not just cheese shops that i've been taking pictures of. a couple of weeks ago i posted a virtual tour of the whisky exchange's swanky store in covent garden. today's installment covers the royal mile whiskies london outpost in bloomsbury and the vintage house in soho. and back in august i'd posted a look at cadenhead's, milroy's and hedonism (plus a quick glance at berry bros. & rudd*). between the whisky stores and the cheese, london is pretty much an ideal city for me.

actual londoners who know of quirky smaller stores and bars with interesting whisky selections should point me to those as well.

*when i was there in august they'd had a plumbing disaster which had caused the whisky part of the shop to be shut down for a few days. i'll be going back for a proper look soon.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,432 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

This is delightful for ex-Londoners too.

Okay, I am going back years so do research, but there was this cute snug bar in the Athenaeum hotel, very near you, which was a malt whisky bar. A lot of tartan.

I used to go there at lunch occasionally to taste a nip or two. Which now amazes me.

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,432 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:52 PM

It's next door to Lord Palmerston's house. Civis Romanus sum.

#4 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:18 AM

as per the hotel's website it appears that it's a new bar now and much shinier/snazzier but retains "The Athenaeum’s famous whisky collection". Seems likely to be expensive though. Will peep in if I pass by.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,432 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

Sounds a lot less cozy.