33 replies to this topic

#16 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:20 AM

There are countless uses for XP, Vista, etal besides online trading.

Reports are that XP is still widely used in industry...which might lend some degree of merit to Nathan's (false?) contention.  Windows gurus regularly mention they still use XP and Vista productively.  XP and Vista (together with later OSs) all work well for our purposes thus far (as I knock on wood!).

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#17 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

Could some one point me to a quick summary of the advantages / disadvantages of XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 10, etc?

Thanks!

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#18 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:50 AM

There's surely no question that 7 and 10 are the most advisable and desirable today, with the edge still probably going to 7.

#19 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:51 AM

Out here in the backwoods we're still mired in the  Apple cult.   Seems to be small potatoes for the bigtime hackers.  

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#20 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

My understanding from Arstechnica is that 8 and 10 are not really vulnerable to WannaCry.

Peter,  under no circumstances should anyone be running XP -- especially if connected to the internet.  Microsoft stopped supporting it two years ago.  You have no fricking clue how vulnerable you are.  The organizations that were taken down last Friday were running XP...those are the ones who are horrifically vulnerable.

Paul, XP came out in 2001.  It reached end of service in 2015 (i.e. Microsoft stopped making security patches for it).  From a security perspective you should run 8 or 10...after that it's a matter of taste (theoretically 10 will run better on an older computer than 8...no, I didn't write that backwards).  What does matter is that you should install all updates/patches...whichever OS you choose (same goes for MacOs/Linux users).

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#21 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,348 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

seriously though, this was an SMB exploit that only affected people running Windows XP (which isn't even supported anymore) and Windows 7 (if they weren't running updates/installing patches).  None of you should still be using those OS' at home.  (As I type this on a government computer running Windows 7 (at least it's patched albeit half the internet doesn't work)).

keep your operating systems up to date and use two factor authentication on your accounts.  That will protect you the vast vast majority of the time.

For Sig Eater's budget project, they've given her an abacus.

#22 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

You have no fricking clue how vulnerable you are.

Nathan, assuming a very careful/judicious XP user with a firewall and anti-malware software and using a browser other than Internet Explorer (the one being used is Gecko based), what are some examples of the vulnerability you are referring to?

#23 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,667 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

peter, did you mean to attach that picture of a scantily clad woman to your post? (some people might find it offensive.)

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#24 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

Nathan, thanks for your comments. They make a lot of sense.

I spoke with Charles Schwab on another matter, and they added a little more detail. The way I understood it, there are several layers of connectivity in something called secure socket links.  These SSL interact with various identifiers within Schwab to make sure my computer is what it says it is, and there are no known eavesdroppers, etc. SSL 128 is the current standard, they told me.

When MS comes out with a new version of software, like Win 7 to Win 10, they build bridges within the 10 to link back to code written by me or a vendor for a 7 product and make it work. But many newer features in the 10 may not work as intended. If I'm working on an SSL version 1994 that may create difficulties.

Apparently, there are various ways for Schwab to authenticate my computer. They will be going to a two factor authentication soon. That means I enter my user name, click enter and it is passed to Schwab. Schwab passes back some code, and my machine is prompted for my password. That goes back in a different pass to Schwab, after a massage with the info just received.

The feds have apparently imposed regs on banks, brokers etc which require them to maintain more secure connections. That's why Win XP, Win Vista, etc connections aren't supported by some security systems.

(Of course, the NSA, with its billions of dollars in investment, still gets hacked by  guys working out of a cave somewhere. NOT POLITICAL!)

#25 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

You have no fricking clue how vulnerable you are.

Nathan, assuming a very careful/judicious XP user with a firewall and anti-malware software, what are some examples of what you are referring to?

http://www.securitea...Windows_XP.html

#26 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

Schwab isn't already using two factor authentication?  I'd fire them....

in 2017 I wouldn't dream of using a bank or email service that didn't have two factor authentication (or tokenization) enabled.

heck, the entire Fappening happened solely because the affected individuals didn't have two factor authentication enabled (and had easy to socially engineer passwords).

on another note, use a password manager.  any of the major services will work.  or just icloud keychain if you're an Apple person.

#27 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

posting on the stupid beer forum requires two step authentication.

#28 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

I noticed that Schwab has the following on the log in page of the retail investor site. The click is "IMPORTANT NOTICE for users of Microsoft XP". Schwab will work best for:

The latest (non-beta) version of Microsoft Vista®, Windows® 7 , or Windows® 8.  Please note that Microsoft has ended support for Windows XP and the use of this operating system is not recommended. Additional information can be found on the Microsoft site.   

AND
The latest (non-beta) version of either  
Microsoft® Internet Explorer
Firefox®
Chrome®

#29 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

Desktop Operating System Market Share

#30 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Peter, I'm not sure why you think pointing out that only 7% of computer users are complete idiots is something new to the rest of us. The whole point is that most malware targets people who haven't updated. Firewalls and antivirus software won't protect you btw.