7 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:13 AM

Too lazy to link to Well's review (early this week). Good and bad, but apparently busy and popular. Allegretti could ace the cuisine described, but nobody wanted to go to his stuffy eponymous restaurant. This place is "expensive," but I guess it has the look, or the right people talking about it.

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

Wasn't the chef the chef at Fresca and the mooted chef at BF Manhattan? I'd guess the same applies to him.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#3 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

Wasn't the chef the chef at Fresca and the mooted chef at BF Manhattan? I'd guess the same applies to him.

I think you mean Frasca Food and Wine (Fresca is a soda). Yes, he was the chef there. And, yes, he was supposed to be the chef at BF Manhattan, but when it didn't seem to be happening anytime soon, he bowed out.

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,033 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:28 PM

It does look like the bar is the place to eat there.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,033 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

Too lazy to link to Well's review (early this week). Good and bad, but apparently busy and popular. Allegretti could ace the cuisine described, but nobody wanted to go to his stuffy eponymous restaurant. This place is "expensive," but I guess it has the look, or the right people talking about it.

The more casual front bar, with a simpler and cheaper(-seeming) menu, must make a big difference.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

That's fair.

#7 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:52 PM

I ate here last night - It was pretty good, even if it has the stink of an underemployed chef about it.  They've scrapped the fancier back room and now what you've got is a dell'anima+ quality modern italian place in Flatiron. I think they are slowly abandoning the original French/Italian pre-text. I would recommend.

I think I liked it more than I expected to.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,182 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

We first went to the now Trattoria Italienne right after it opened as italienne in Nov. 2016 and have since been there many times. We love Jared Sippel’s food and have gotten to know him, GM James King, and the staff. They are wonderful people and treat us extremely well. 

This surprises me, @rozrapp. Not because there's anything wrong with the food; we quite enjoyed the food here a few weeks ago.

But seriously, it was a Saturday night, and this may have been the noisiest restaurant I've been to in NYC. All hard surfaces (though I seem to remember some pieces of something or other glued to the undersides of the tables to try and mitigate the noise a bit).

We were 4 and literally could not have a conversation with one another.  Last night at Frenchette was comparatively quiet.