https://www.washingt...n-male-athletes

#17 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,321 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:28 PM

Essentially I agree with Martina: nobody should be behaving like that, and everyone should be sanctioned fairly and equally.

But the context in this case is the racism and sexism Serena has endured for years. White boy behaving like this should be treated the same: but has less excuse.

#18 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:12 AM

Martina can say this.  Sportswriters and pundits can say otherwise.  In the heat of the moment, maybe Serena Williams reacted too strongly.  But she was in the moment, not at a laptop or in a broadcast booth.  When you consider all the obstacles and the bias she has had to overcome to get where she is today, it is amazing.  Naomi Osaka may be the future of women's tennis (although many other women have begun strong and flamed out), but I would not count Serena out yet.  Maybe she needs a sports psychiatrist to overcome the last hurdle of the Margaret Court record, but I think she will do it.

As an aside, I thought there was a certain "All About Eve" aspect to Ms. Osaka's respect for Serena.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#19 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,321 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:06 AM

Ooh that last paragraph is the kind of off-the-wall insight and erudition that MF exists for. Gold star.

Yeah, the shit Serena has waded through. In the abstract, nobody should behave like that and everyone should be penalized the same. But we're not in the abstract.