61 replies to this topic

#31 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,873 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:56 PM

Kassler is found anywhere in Germany, right? And honestly in a lot of New York supermarkets.

Now how about kase mit musik, which I associate with Frankfurt?

#32 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,873 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:58 PM

To continue the thought, Liverpudlians (at least of my age and older) do call the dish “scouse.”

#33 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,573 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

What ELSE could "scouse" mean?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#34 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,873 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:10 PM

Oh like now y’all knew, sure.

#35 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,873 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:13 PM

Look I’ve been to Lubeck and eaten heideschnucken, and don’t be like, yes that’s my Tuesday lunch.

#36 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,573 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:22 PM

Oh like now y’all knew, sure.

Hey some of us grew up having to suss out what this song title meant.  (And believe me, in those pre-internet days, it wasn't easy.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#37 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,873 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:21 AM

I still can’t believe Americans call themselves Randy.

#38 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:40 AM

Kassler is found anywhere in Germany, right? And honestly in a lot of New York supermarkets.

Now how about kase mit musik, which I associate with Frankfurt?

That would be Handkäs mit Musik, a disc of smelly, semi-soft cheese topped with raw onions (or maybe pickled - can't recall). The onions supply the "music", referring to the farting they supposedly cause. It's commonly accompanied by cider (or Ebbelwoi, as the Frankfurters call it), which is served in a cutely painted ceramic jug called a Bembel. It can make for a pleasant summer evening sitting outside at a pub.

#39 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:17 PM

That would be Handkäs mit Musik, a disc of smelly, semi-soft cheese topped with raw onions (or maybe pickled - can't recall). 

Raw but with a vinegar dressing. I found Ebbelwoi to be an acquired taste but with the right atmosphere... Grüne soße with boiled new potatoes & mollet eggs though, that is one of the finest meals ever invented. 

Since we're calling out non-Bavarian faves, a moment of appreciation for Himmel und Erde, and Königsberger Klopse. 

White asparagus season begins in 8 days! 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#40 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:40 PM

Kaiserschmarrn, Speckknödel, Maultaschen, rote Grütze.

Wild asparagus season just ended here. Never see white asparagus, though. When my dad happened to visit me once in HH during asparagus season, he ate white asparagus with every meal save breakfast.

#41 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 06:41 PM

One of my earliest specific food memories was when my grand-uncle gave my mother wild asparagus he'd found while tending his lemon trees, and some intensely yellow-yolked eggs from my great-grandmother's chickens. My mom basically made a wild asparagus frittata and I just remember thinking, this is one of the most extraordinary things I've ever eaten. I was probably 7 or 8(?)

Worth noting, prior to that, a similarly transformative food memory of a kosher hot dog and grape juice, followed by a hostess cupcake. Heaven, at the time. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#42 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,873 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:45 PM

I was close with the kase!

I was in Germany for white asparagus season and I loved that everywhere goes with the seasonal theme, not just fancy farm-to-table chef-driven restaurants. Every pub has white asparagus.

And when chanterelles are in, everyone has to chalk their pfifferlinge dishes on the blackboards, which must require some patience.

#43 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

Yes! This is something I really love about living here. I enjoy traditional places generally more than the Michelin level as the quality is already quite high but cozy and there's always a great sense of place/time with the dishes. 

Actually I had my first white asparagus of the season today, with (real) hollandaise and boiled potatoes at our favourite neighborhood pub. It feels early but it has been quite warm this year. Weißbier to drink. 

-Chomskybot

#44 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:58 PM

Was? Ohne Schinken? I mean, that sounds fab, esp. with real hollandaise, but ham is a key component of that plate.

#45 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:05 PM

Minis each wanted their own SchniPo, so I inherited half a wiener schnitzel. I am a master planner. 

-Chomskybot