23 replies to this topic

#16 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,534 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

It's a pity we can't pronounce it in English, as we don't have the vowel sounds.  :D

#17 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,511 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

Been a couple years since an extensive eating trip (I too leverage professional obligations into personal enjoyment) but the question is an interesting one.

I think the fine fine dining in Boston is a notch or two below the NYC stuff that everyone hates. I haven't been to menton, but the stalwarts are very celebratory fine dining in a secondary food city and not characteristic of much. Good, surely, but if you're craving that kind of thing, reserve at an NYC warhorse.

To echo daisy (EDIT: er...Abbylovi) the seafood is strong with Neptune oyster traditionally being "the best" and B&G being what I would take to be the most "adult".

Mostly, I would go to some of the Cambridge-style places - the three course, reasonable volume, polished service, brownstone Brooklyn cum NPR new American places that service the professorial class. They're all a bit different and all seem to represent something more New England. Bondir being my choice (and chambos) but Craigie, oleana and tw would work too. Not sure what else had opened, but those clearly fit your bill.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#18 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,427 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:01 PM

Daisy :o

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#19 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,534 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

Thanks Adrian.

And Daisy.

#20 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,534 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

No. 9 Park is wide open to reserve, yet requires a credit card and has detailed cancellation policies.

Fine, but calm down guys.

#21 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

Somewhere, Yogi is thinking up a line.

#22 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

People don't go there any more, they accept too many credit cards

#23 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,534 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:24 PM

It was far from full, and plenty of space to seat walk-ins in a bar room and at bar.  I guess the credit card thing makes them feel important.

It was what I was looking for, apart from that.

#24 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,534 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:02 PM

Re: Adrian's perspective, a couple of notches below the NYC equivalent is fair: but total check for a tasting menu, with supplements, and plenty of wine was about $200 including tax and tip.