#76 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,802 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:01 AM

Wait.

How did it get to be sitting right out on the counter?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#77 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

I have lost 2 hats (Fedoras) over the last few weeks.  Too much on my mind, as we're starting to return to our apartment, I guess.

#78 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

I have been assembling Ikea furniture and storage cabinets.  I am not exactly Mr. Handy but I can follow directions.  So far I've put together a kitchen storage unit, a computer table, 2 desk chairs, a TV table, and 2 cabinets.

A few weeks ago I got a cabinet 80% completed and then quit for the day, resolving to finish it the following day.  The next morning I started in and saw that the next step in the instructions called for me to screw in some hinges.  Deb was spending the day in Manhattan and I figured when she returned I'd surprise her with the completed cabinet.

If you've ever assembled anything from Ikea you know that the kits come with bags of screws, bolts, plastic pegs, and all kinds of tiny pieces that hold the furniture together.  I looked for the screws and couldn't find them.  I looked some more.  In fact I looked all around the apartment for almost 3 hours.  I repeatedly went over the same ground because I couldn't believe that I had mislaid them.

It was a good thing Deb was away.  I began to talk to myself, sometimes sensibly and sometimes raving with frustration.  It was not one of my better moments.

Finally I got a glass of ice water and sat down on the couch, immensely frustrated.  When I cooled down I looked at the hinges.  Ikea had helpfully inserted the screws in the holes about 25% of the way in.  All I had to do was to put the hinges in place and finish screwing them in.

maxresdefault.jpg

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#79 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,802 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

I have lost 2 hats (Fedoras) over the last few weeks.  Too much on my mind, as we're starting to return to our apartment, I guess.

Well, there are two less things on top of your mind now, then.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#80 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

The lid to my Windsor pot.

Seriously.

I'm impressed.   If the prize were a million bucks, husband couldn't identify a Windsor pot.    He could probably identify the refrigerator but not necessarily all the contents.    

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#81 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,802 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'll bet he'd be able to tell that the lid was sitting on the counter right next to him, though.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#82 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

I'm impressed.   If the prize were a million bucks, husband couldn't identify a Windsor pot.

A pot used by Prince Charles?
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#83 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:56 PM

Okay, his is more of a 'where is it MFF edition'.

The SO wants to cure and smoke some bacon. I found Stone's Bacon Project. But, the photos are gone. So, the request is where do I find a good recipe for a cure? And for the smoking. TIA.

#84 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:33 AM

Steven Raichlen’s “Project Smoke” series has an episode (#107) called “Bacon 24/7” which begins with curing and smoking. It’s on-line.

#85 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

There's a recipe for Maple-Espresso Bacon on Leite's Culinaria.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#86 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,802 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:15 AM

Ordered from the manufacturer, this year's Hobonichi Techo came with this very high-quality ballpoint pen . . . .

Bar Loser

MF Old

#87 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,802 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

Oh THERE it is.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#88 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,802 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:51 PM

Pieces of cheese don't just vanish, right?

So if it isn't in my cheese bin, and it isn't on my counter, and it isn't anywhere else in my refrigerator, and it isn't in any of my cupboards, and it isn't in the garbage . . .

WHERE IS IT?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#89 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:58 PM

thats easy, turn off your air conditioning and go for a walk... You will find it soon enough.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#90 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,802 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:36 PM

Ah, I was trying to think of a search mechanism!

Bar Loser

MF Old