16 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:40 PM

I finally broke down and took the trial offer for Harry's Shaves. The ubiquitous advertiser finally got me.

So far, I like it. Clean, good shave. Foaming gel is great. Perhaps 10 shaves on it, still sharp. Usually clean it under running water with a fingernails brush.

The first scheduled shipment arrived today. Big tube of gel and eight cartridges for $21.

The survey on ordering is interesting, and asks about the number of people using the shavers, gender, which body parts, how often, etc. Extremely gender respectful.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:09 PM

I finally broke down and took the trial offer for Harry's Shaves. The ubiquitous advertiser finally got me.

So far, I like it. Clean, good shave. Foaming gel is great. Perhaps 10 shaves on it, still sharp. Usually clean it under running water with a fingernails brush.

The first scheduled shipment arrived today. Big tube of gel and eight cartridges for $21.

The survey on ordering is interesting, and asks about the number of people using the shavers, gender, which body parts, how often, etc. Extremely gender respectful.

Have you tried any of the big brand premium razors?  I've been using the Gillette Mach 3 Turbo (what an awful name) for about a year.  The price is pretty high - about $21 for a 5 blade pack of cartridges - but I really like the results.  The blades last about 3 weeks.

If I could get comparable results for less I'd switch in a minute.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,319 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

I've used Mach 3 for many years. You can shop on Amazon for deals on the blades.

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:20 AM

I'd say the shave is equivalent to a Mach 3.

#5 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:28 AM

Thanks to you both.  I think I'll check out both Amazon and Harry's.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

If you do the Harry's deal, they send you one shaver and one cartridge. The first installment ships about two weeks later, so you can cancel before that ships and owe nothing.

But you have to move quickly.

#7 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:14 PM

<snip>

Have you tried any of the big brand premium razors?  I've been using the Gillette Mach 3 Turbo (what an awful name) for about a year.  The price is pretty high - about $21 for a 5 blade pack of cartridges - but I really like the results.  The blades last about 3 weeks.

If I could get comparable results for less I'd switch in a minute.

Asking because I know nothing: 5 blades @ $21 = $4.20/blade. Assuming you shave 6 times/week for the 3 weeks, that = 24¢ per shave. If that's expensive, what is a more reasonable cost? (Paul is fine with the store brand; not sure how much that cost.)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:35 PM

I shave about three times a week. I'm trying to develop a hipster persona, etc. And, I generally shower, then use their penetrating shave gel . I should count the number of shaves per blade. I'm still using the complimentary blade, after about three weeks (9-10 shaves).

Gillette, in particular, seems to have very expensive blades. You can get store brands from Harmon Drugs,  etc for less. Sometimes a lot less.

#9 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

I certainly like to save a buck where I can. For years I used the blue Gillette disposable razors. Ten or twelve in a bag. They were OK. Then I tried the BIC disposable razors. The first time I used one it flayed the skin from my face. I immediately disposed of the entire bag and went back to Gillette.

Then they started giving away free samples of their higher end blades and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were far more comfortable and lasted lots longer. I switched. It's an affordable luxury but I'm open to cheaper alternatives if the quality is the same.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,523 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

I find the Harry's blades to be as good as, and possibly better than, the higher-end Gillette ones I'd been using.

Of course, my shaving needs are not great.

(I'm more excited to tell you about this upgraded Braun beard trimmer I recently got.  A real improvement.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:21 AM

I find the Harry's blades to be as good as, and possibly better than, the higher-end Gillette ones I'd been using.

Of course, my shaving needs are not great.

(I'm more excited to tell you about this upgraded Braun beard trimmer I recently got.  A real improvement.)

Your beard gives you a very professorial appearance.  Lecturing about Victorian poets or medieval Russian knights, etc

#12 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

I certainly like to save a buck where I can. For years I used the blue Gillette disposable razors. Ten or twelve in a bag. They were OK. Then I tried the BIC disposable razors. The first time I used one it flayed the skin from my face. I immediately disposed of the entire bag and went back to Gillette.

Then they started giving away free samples of their higher end blades and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were far more comfortable and lasted lots longer. I switched. It's an affordable luxury but I'm open to cheaper alternatives if the quality is the same.

$1 each.  https://www.costco.c...BbBJRGbZ/iCcMU=

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#13 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

I use, and have been a fan of Gillette Atra, for years and years. Looking on eBay, I see they're considered "vintage." 

But I did try to switch to a classic double-edged razor a few years ago; I had a beautiful handle that was my father's, and I also purchased a newer handle, along with double-edged blades from Germany and Japan.

That experiment ended when I realized I couldn't shave once without cutting myself - something that almost never happens with the Atra.

So it was back to my old favorite, the Atra. Along with a nice boar bristle brush and shave soap (which I've also been using for years), the combo does me well.

Re: Lex's story about using disposable razors; I've been forced to use them on occasion, such as when traveling and I forget to bring my razor. they're like shaving with a bad steak knife.

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

I suspect the disposable razors are designed to give you 3 maybe 4 shaves before they gunk up. Cheap blades that don't hold an edge, etc.

#15 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

It's also just a bunch of extra waste from the handles.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.