49 replies to this topic

#1 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

With the approaching Hurricane Harvey what foods do you normally stock for after the storm?   Growing up on the gulf coast, too many times the very first things that disappeared from the store shelves was bread, milk and frozen pizzas.  Who is going to want to deal with frozen pizzas when you have NO power.  Plus with the power out those babys are starting to defrost in your now not working freezer.  What do you normally stock up in your pantry for post hurricane dining?  Me, I go for canned goods, stuff I can heat up on my little butane stove  Or grill on the bbq.  I do not get frozen pizzas.  

"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,216 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

Hopefully things will work out well for you, Peter, Steven, and others in the general range of this dangerous system.

In South Florida, we've been told to have several days supply of propane (for gas grills), several gallons of gasoline in an extra tank, a gallon of water per person for five days, batteries and flash lights, etc.  I have several cans of chicken noodle soup with pull tops, canned beef stew with pull tops,  wine,  Our community center has a back up generator sufficient for internet access, charging phones, lights, etc. We added two large refrigerators for storing medicines this year, and have a large ice maker in the budget for 2018.

I plan to get a gasoline powered portable generator and a window mounted air conditioner to keep my wine cool.  We've been told that the community may have natural gas installed in 2018, if that's the case, I'll add a whole house generator and backup unit.

One down side is the community's security gates open automatically and remain open in the event of a loss of power. So, I may need to accelerate my plans for a weapons permit and some artillery.

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#3 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

Thanks, guys!

About 10 years ago I sprung for the big dollars needed to install a universal gas-powered generator.  It won't "drive" the whole house, but it will all the important devices/appliances/etc.  Thus, HOPEFULLY, we'll fare okay.

The fear here is that some of the models show the storm stalling once it makes land and meandering eastward along the coast.  If it does do this, then it could be like Tropical Storm Allison again.

As for food, generally non-perishables.

And, yes, Paul, crime tends to ramp up so security is important.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,986 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:00 AM

How about this?

Then that happened.

#5 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:52 AM

This is, of course, a constant if sublimated worry in NoCal (and SoCal) earthquake country.    We have a substantial larder of canned stuffs, a freezer full of things we can barbeque or boil up.    Water is something we stock and replace.    

For how long is probably the question.    Relief and resupply is probably 14 days away at best.    To grossly understate, we will be tested.

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,216 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:09 AM

Dee reminded me we also have a small inventory of cookies.

We donate much of our inventory in December, using up the various canned items and water stockpiled for the season of June - October. Gets us a tax deduction, and helps the local food bank.

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#7 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

Love my HEB:

http://tinyurl.com/yb6c6q3f
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,216 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

I've been buying fresh vegetables, fruit, etc. Things that don't require heating, although we have the propane grill and two tanks.  I've frozen two cases of water and several gallons of diet iced tea which I made.

Lots of canned soups, canned beans, hatch chiles, gallons of fresh water, cookies, crackers, beer, wine.  Our local electric is buried in the ground, which has proven to be a good thing in the past. Our community connects into a major power line, which is a plus, all things considered.

Niccolò Machiavelli

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

Hey good luck down there, i am hoping for you all..  I would think nuts are good.. i could be happy eating just pistachios for the rest of my life.. And lots not forget the value of nut milks.. some raw cashews, raw almonds. cans of coconut milk.  I would also get a bunch of jerky.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#10 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,139 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

Make sure you have a manual can opener for those that do not have a pull-top. (I'm sure you know that, but I wonder how many people will find themselves at a loss without their electric can openers.)

I'm not wrong about these things. -- Adrian, 15 September 2017 - 7:35 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,223 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

Make sure you have a gun, in case your neighbors gang up on you for that can opener.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#12 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,511 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

Make sure you have a manual can opener for those that do not have a pull-top. (I'm sure you know that, but I wonder how many people will find themselves at a loss without their electric can openers.)

what % of americans do you think have electric can openers?   I honestly have no idea but I personally don't know anyone who has one.

Why not mayo?

#13 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,511 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:30 PM

huh. I apologize.  61% of American Households have an electric can opener.  I guess I really am an out of touch urban elite.

Why not mayo?

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:37 PM

how else do you get the cat back in the house?

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#15 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,489 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

huh. I apologize.  61% of American Households have an electric can opener.  I guess I really am an out of touch urban elite.

Swing Away for us.

835-425.jpg

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China