29 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,272 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

Since there are only 347 breathless articles on Eater about this place, I'd figured I'd throw my $.02 in.

Significant Eater and I walked up to the East Village for lunch yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed what we ate...

36005705884_3e9aca8cef.jpg

That's a sausage and mushroom pie on top, and a plain on the bottom. Now mind you, I like this style of pizza (as has been noted in the Marta thread, I'm sure), and these are nicely done.

Nothing on the menu (at this point, and excluding the 1/2 bottles of champagne) is over $12 all in, and our lunch of crochettas, a nicely composed (if the tiniest bit overdressed) salad, the two pies above, and 2 sodas clocked in right at $40 - a veritable steal in this day and age.

Martina is definitely based on the Shake Shack model of ordering, being given a "pager" type device, and waiting to be called to pick up - though we were offered our salad, crochettas, and sodas toot sweet. But if the intent is to eventually grow Martina into a Shake Shack style operation, with multiple locations, I just don't know how well that will translate. After all, making pizza a la minute is certainly not the same as cooking a preformed burger. Time will tell.

In the meantime, with Nick A. in this singular house yesterday, all is well.

#2 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

The model seems to work for Blaze, although the pizza there is far from the level of Marta (and presumably Martina).

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:30 PM

I think as with shake shack the plan is by the time you have it in terminal 5 of the dubai airport the pizza will be very simple to make.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

How is the pizza cooked? One of those conveyor belt kind of ovens, or a gas-fired oven? Wood-fired?

There's a franchise in my city that uses a Subway-model of pizza making. Someone flattens whichever crust you choose (not cracker-type crust, but always thin) and adds the sauce (7 types of sauce from which to choose), then it moves on to the cheese putter-oner, then the meat toppings putter-oner, then the vegetable putter-oner. Then it goes into a very high heat gas-fired oven. You can get as many toppings as you want, only gluten-free crust has an upcharge, but everything else is just $12, I think?

The "fast food" location uses an electric conveyor belt pizza oven (like a larger version of the one McD's used to make their pizzas on). Definitely not as good as the gas-fired oven.

Altogether, it's about 10 minutes from crust flattening to taking your pizza away. Cooking time is allegedly only 5 minutes, but I think it's a bit more than that. People are aware it's not fast "fast food", but given the alternatives, people are willing to wait. It is very very popular and even the location with the electric oven will, during lunchtime, have 20-people line ups (that's 20 people waiting in line to be served in addition to the several already at some stage of having their pizzas put together). In the last year, year and a half, since the first location opened, there are now 5 in town, plus 1 opening in Toronto. Plus a few copy-cat chains. 

We have fewer options, where i am, though, so what is popular here won't necessarily go over as well somewhere like NYC. As you said, only time will tell. 

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,272 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

Gas fired, open hearth oven.

#6 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:03 AM

Prasatrin, is that place a Blaze? https://en.m.wikiped...iki/Blaze_Pizza
Probably unknown to most of you in NYC but this chain has gotten huge in the burbs all over the US. Same exact concept. the pizza isn't amazing but it's perfectly adequate for a quick lunch.

#7 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,272 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

It doesn't appear that Blaze uses an electric conveyor belt oven to bake their pizza, which is the kind prasantrin refers to above.

But the Blaze concept does remind me (a little bit) of another pizza chain, which probably isn't considered fast-casual, and which I believe began its run in South Florida:  Anthony's Coal-Fired Pizza

The Blaze ovens are "7 foot (2.1 m)-wide gas-fired (60,000 BTU (63,000 kJ)) unit operated at average temperatures of 700 °F (371 °C) to 800 °F (427 °C)" according to the company's executive chef.[7] Since the high-temperature gas-fired pizza oven is the only piece of cooking equipment inside each of the restaurants, the same oven is also used to roast the chicken, cook the Italian sausage and meatballs, and bake some of the desserts.[7]

#8 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

Is Anthony's table service? Blaze is more like Chipotle (and Martina it seems). Wait in like, choose your toppings, pay, and two minutes later the pizza is done

#9 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,272 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

Is Anthony's table service? Blaze is more like Chipotle (and Martina it seems). Wait in like, choose your toppings, pay, and two minutes later the pizza is done

Yes, Anthony's is table service.  So obviously, not pointed out by me, different. Only the same in that they're putting out a decent quality pizza in franchised locations; and they also do wings and stuff in that same pizza oven.

#10 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:31 PM

Staten Island has a Blaze: https://ny.eater.com...s-staten-island

#11 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

I feel like 2 years ago or so "Chipotle, but for pizza" was the next hot thing in QSR.  They appear to have not happened, at least in NYC...

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#12 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

LOL

LA, Vegas, Tokyo, Dubai. and Qatar

http://www.800degreespizza.com/

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#13 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,272 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

Maybe it's my naieveté, but wouldn't NYC (or Manhattan, at the very least) be the last place to open a fast-casual pizza chain?

Maybe not, though; I guess Domino's and Papa John's, et.al. all do biz here.

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

Easier to sell a brand "from nyc" in Dubai than "from Wichita"
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#15 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:07 PM

It's called Za. Only Za Express has the conveyor belt version. The other Za Pizza Bistro restaurants have gas fired ovens.

There's also a Crust Pizzeria which is similar, though I think they have a max of 6 toppings. I'm not sure what kind of oven they use.

And there's a third chain called Pronto Pizzeria, and they use either a gas fired or a wood fired oven, I think.