#16 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

Thanks, guys, for the good sentiments.

Paul, no city could have coped any better with this unprecedented storm.  And your posting seemed to venture into political issues e.g. what is too much and/or too little regulation.  Houston is doing it right...

past attempts to impose greater centralized urban planning on Houston have been defeated by overwhelming working-class opposition every time. Those residents know something many in the urban planning world don’t. It is well past time that we start taking Houston’s success seriously.

How Spontaneous Order Keeps Houston Affordable by Nolan Gray

The "past attempts to impose" wasn't my contribution.

I was extremely careful not to directly reference Houston in my NJ comments about permeability.  Using that as a springboard to criticize me is poor form.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#17 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:37 PM

Two months is an incredibly long time to be evacuated, and prevented from returning home.

Here in South Florida, there's a protocol on identifying and helping "people at risk" during severe storm and higher water situations.  The organization with which I volunteer has a list of assignments for helping people leave nursing homes, etc.

#18 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:40 PM

Paul, thanks for clarifying.  You're correct, the quote was from the article.  I thought that would be clear.

And, as I stated before, your posting was appreciated as it was, as is your custom, totally acceptable and productive.

The 2 months is due to that being the expected time period the homes remain flooded.  And, yes, all the evacuees will receive support and aid.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#19 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:43 PM

The issue is more like – longer-term, to the extent you care about absorption, you get a lot more out of encouraging infill than mandating low density for new developments.

In this case, absorption wasn't really the issue due to the amount of rainfall.

And evacuation would have been really hard, given how the roads are designed the flood.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#20 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

The 2 months is due to that being the expected time period the homes remain flooded.  And, yes, all the evacuees will receive support and aid.

Apropos of all disasters, while everyone is due support and aid, recipients will be triaged as to severity of need, which is only right.   But it does mean that those with severe but not life endangering damage or need will wait.   And wait.   (Lessons learned from California earthquake responses which have usually been extraordinarily good but in every event, resources and delivery are limited in one way or another.)

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#21 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

There was a long article that was published in the Houston Chronicle in May of 2016.  It provides historical background and perspective from flood control officials and local scientists.

Short and sweet - officials have done a great deal to control floods but there are financial and physical limitations to what's possible.

The trouble with living in a swamp: Houston floods explained

Early settlers drained marshes to build Houston town in a muddy bog. Fast forward less than 200 years and the city stands above water, mostly, thanks mostly to 2,500 miles of managed waterways—the flying distance from Houston to Quito, Ecuador—that whisk the floods out to sea.

"If those channels didn't exist, this area would be flooding from every rain, not just the big ones," said Mike Talbott, executive director of the Harris County Flood Control District. "A very large percentage of the systems have not been made larger to meet current criteria."

Therein lies the problem. Tremendous rains this year and last pushed the limits, forcing gullies and bayous over their banks into neighborhoods that brim them. The only solution is to widen the waterways, which means buying up adjacent buildings and tearing them down. Talbott puts the price tag on a total upgrade at $26 billion, which will not happen soon.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#22 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, that's basically right. I'm arguing contra RP's:

After NJ suffered enormous flooding in hurricane Floyd and superstorm Sandy, many counties implemented stronger rules on new developments and permeability. So you could no longer cut down five acres of forest and meadow to build a new Wal-Mart or mall, paving every square inch. Now the standards for new construction require swales to capture water, and semi-permeable parking surfaces. Even new residential has a 37% coverage ration (have to leave 63% in grass, meadow, or other permeable surface.You see a lot of new block and mat construction in driveways, for example.

Even here in Florida, new construction in flood zones A, B, or C has newer and stronger code requirements.

It's tempting but exactly wrong to propose "less coverage" as a solution for Houston.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#23 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

admin post:

no more political discussion.

#24 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

Thanks, guys, for the good sentiments.

Paul, no city could have coped any better with this unprecedented storm.  admin note: deleted politcal content.

I just want to make sure no one misses this.

and yet no admin response
admin note: I'm slow.

#25 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

admin post:

no more political discussion.

Lets be clear .  There was no political discussion on this thread.  There was an unfounded accusation of one.  Rail Paul responded to it and Peter withdrew it.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#26 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

Sorry, but, out of consideration for Paul, I must say "not true!".  If someone thinks it sounded like an "accusation" then it was misinterpreted from what was intended.

I'm regret starting this thread about airports in the Travel section.

Apologies!

Admins are welcome to delete or lock this thread as I'm gone from it.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#27 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

Sorry, but, out of consideration for Paul, I must say "not true!".  If someone thinks it sounded like an "accusation" then it was misinterpreted from what was intended.

You know who thought it was an accusation?

Rail Paul.

Let me say it again - there has been NO political discussion on this thread.

#28 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

Can't we all just get along?

#29 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:55 PM

One thing that has resonated throughout the coverage of this disaster is the extent to which immediate response came from neighbor and stranger passerbys.     Of course this has been true of most weather, fire, terrorist disasters, but in Houston so much has depended on who had a boat, swimming pool float, even inflatable wading pool.    Plastic buckets floating out pets and babes.    Ropes pulling drivers out of cars.    Simple but life-saving acts of compassion.    

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.