32 replies to this topic

#16 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,797 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

I don't get the choice of reviewing this one.. I had been, i thought it was good enough.. a lot of similar tastes, all mainly revolving around clams.. Nothing mind blowing, it was all good, i liked the wine list and the service and the room but, I don't know how news worthy any of it was.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#17 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

Wells, one star. Felt like reading one of those diner's journal blog posts they used to make Bruni and Sifton do.

I thought it made the place sound appealing.  It made me want to try it.

#18 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

We were back for a second dinner this week, and I just feel like the $200 for dinner doesn't make me happy enough, when there are other cheaper, tasty options within a block or two (Nom Wah Tu, Bacaro, Katja and maybe the soon-to-be-tried a second time Brigitte).

The oysters are excellent, and the ones we had were far from tiny...and also $4 a pop...but man, the 2 varieties (out of 5 on offer) were big, briny, crisp and just what we wanted...this one especially - Dodge Cove Select  (Damariscotta, ME). Too bad they were served after our mushrooms a la plancha, which were so overly salty that they practically made the oysters seem timid, which they weren't.

The bonito conserva is fine, and likable. But the entree we shared, braised squid with black beans, cherry tomatoes and toasted sourdough, was just a a hot mess, in my opinion, with no real reason for all those things being cooked together. Both the bonito and the squid could have used a little salt, or maybe that was just because of how much salt was in the first dish we had.

Wine list is fun. Plates are now warm. Staff is great. But the cooking's (in)consistency worries me.

And we went to Ice & Vice for ice cream for dessert.

#19 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:06 PM

You know, the cooking and seasoning are now better, and the place is doing a brisk biz.  

Last night, alone at the counter, 5 of those prawns a la plancha were great.  And black sea bass was cooked just right.  

With 3 glasses of wine, sourdough ($3), my bill before tip, but including tax, was right at $100.

The staff is really nice here.

COMP DISCLOSURE:  Romaine salad.

#20 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

Another good meal here earlier this week. Those prawns I can't get enough of. And a seafood rice dish, with big, sweet, juicy mussels, ramps and rock shrimp. Even my starter of (tempura-ed) asparagus and mushrooms was good.

Two in a row!

#21 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:25 PM

Blowfish tails last night - wonderfully fried.  Also really good fries, which come with their half chicken with piri piri sauce.

Lead chef, as well as the other two cooks, all women, which makes me happy.  One recognized us and we her - she used to cook at Hemlock.

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,383 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:24 AM

I don’t remember if I said this, but my last visit there was just delightful.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:23 PM

I think my biggest issue with Cervo's is consistency. 

Sunday night (we were headed to Scarr's for a pizza, but it was too crowded, which means there were like 10 people in there, so Cervo's it was) found 2 of the 3 cooks different than the previous week (and both were men).  The food was often very (too?) salty. 

But man, their fries rank up there with the heyday of McNally and the current day of Frenchette.

#24 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:48 PM

Sunday night (we were headed to Scarr's for a pizza, but it was too crowded, which means there were like 10 people in there, so Cervo's it was) found 2 of the 3 cooks different than the previous week (and both were men).  The food was often very (too?) salty. 

But man, their fries rank up there with the heyday of McNally and the current day of Frenchette.

Scarr's was definitely too crowded on Sunday.  I almost had a mild panic attack while trying to figure out how to order/get seated while people were streaming in.  Good pizza though.

#25 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:50 PM

Scarr's was definitely too crowded on Sunday.  I almost had a mild panic attack while trying to figure out how to order/get seated while people were streaming in.  Good pizza though.

Yeah, if you can snag a seat (or even better, one of the 3 or 4 booths) it's great. Otherwise, I get a slice and eat it standing up in the front; but that's at an off-hour.

#26 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

Cervo's has become (am I repeating myself?) our once every two weeks kind of place.  Food is always very nice (still a slight problem with some oversalting, in my opinion), menu changes up frequently, warm staff, nice wines, etc. etc. Also, we can usually keep it to $100 a head or less, so I guess it's considered Tier 3? Biggest complaint to me - comfort level of seating - thanks, Chang.

The other night, a nice swordfish dish with artichokes, and instead of those lovely Louisiana prawns a la plancha, they were frying them - and I think the frying here is of high quality, so these were damn good.

Evidently opening a bar in Bed-Stuy, which means nothing to me, but good for them. The short cocktail list here is well-executed, to be sure. 

Still happy this is in our neighborhood.

#27 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,383 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:57 PM

Remember that their first restaurant is in Bed-Stuy.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#28 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:17 PM

Yes - I'd forgotten that!

#29 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,383 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:05 AM

You know, sometimes I feel a little silly that I go to Cervo's all the time and have never been to Hart's.

But then I look at Hart's' menu and I think:  WHY???????

Bar Loser

MF Old

#30 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,383 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:08 AM

You know, speaking of the new bar, pace Eater, it's very hard for me to think of Claire Sprouse as a "SF cocktail star" (although I'm glad to have her back).
Bar Loser

MF Old

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: portuguese, natural wine, cold plates