72 replies to this topic

#46 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,107 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

I don't think the number of employees put in charge of this matters when restaurants sue for damages.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#47 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:15 PM

I was looking at four restaurants today, and three of the four were on Resy, one on Open Table.

#48 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:47 AM

Has anyone seen this thing where, even though you booked the reservation on OpenTable, you end up getting a confirmation email from Resy at some point?

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#49 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:32 AM

Yes!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#50 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:43 PM

Part advertorial, part interesting but a piece by Kokonas on OT, Resy/Reserve M&A, and why Tock is the greatest super-duperist thing evar.  (its actually pretty good)

https://medium.com/@...ld-be06e64dde12

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#51 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,107 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:47 PM

When someone cites "cloud" and "machine learning" and "infinitely scalable" in the contest of the task of taking reservations I have to think he's full of it. The entire task for all restaurants in the US can be easily handled by a single server.  

Also I think there are now 25 restaurant reservation systems with significant footprint in Japan alone (and more over east asia, urp, etc.). Instead of trying to cover every need and suggesting assholistic concepts like demand based pricing, many cater to very specific needs, and have started convincing even traditional restaurants to come on board as they offer them the ability to manage availability on an individual basis and replace their well guarded paper books, offering assurances the data won't leak. 

#52 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:34 AM

That’s hilarious. Does anyone say “”SaaS” any more?

But seriously, is Open Table on prem? I assumed if it ever was, it had moved to the cloud (as we call it).

#53 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:35 AM

And yes, machine learning applied to the pool of data in question, nice ornamentation.

#54 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:15 PM

amex acquires resy

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#55 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:34 AM

Does anyone have an idea of where/how the Open Table app gets location information? When using the app, "Winnipeg, AB" pops up, but Winnipeg is not in Alberta, but in Manitoba (MB). And there is no Winnipeg in Alberta.

On the website, however, the province is correct.

Why would the app be different, and where the hell did it get the idea that Winnipeg was in Alberta? (Apparently it's become a common belief that Winnipeg is in Alberta, for example, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WV51WN4 and https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/raiders-winnipeg-alberta-shirt-1.5255666)

#56 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:35 AM

They get it from me.  I'd have said Winnipeg was in Alberta.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#57 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:28 AM

1. Does anyone have an idea of where/how the Open Table app gets location information?
2. When using the app, "Winnipeg, AB" pops up, but Winnipeg is not in Alberta, but in Manitoba (MB). And there is no Winnipeg in Alberta.

On the website, however, the province is correct.

3. Why would the app be different, and
4. where the hell did it get the idea that Winnipeg was in Alberta?

2. It's hard to know EXACTLY what you are talking about when you say "pops up" without a bit more context and a corresponding screen shot ...

but I'll continue along, maybe not directly on-point with your specific issue but it will still shed a bit of light on the topic

4. It could be related to something as simple as an A vs M data error with province information in one of their data sources for a single resto. For example, there is INCORRECT province info (ie Alberta, instead of Manitoba) associated with a Winnipeg Red Lobster located at 1540 Portage Ave, even though the postal code is clearly a Manitoba postal code ... but this is true (for me) with both the iPhone app AND the website ... nevertheless mapping software is smart enough to auto-deal with such errors and maps it correctly in Manitoba, as expected

3. The app and the website are different code bases (ie separate programming efforts). Now in an ideal world, one would surely hope that they would both be leveraging the same back-end infrastructure of APIs / data sources / data massaging algorithms (because data sources need to be massaged) etc etc etc but this isn't an ideal world, this stuff is very complicated and the smartphone app has its history and the website has its history, blah blah blah

But I will note again that what I am seeing / referring to in 4 above occurs with both the iPhone app and the website

1. Not sure who they have agreements with ... but they would most likely have multiple / numerous data source agreements / providers for various and sundry reasons... the computing world is VERY complicated ... that said, due to their history with Google, if forced to bet, Chambo wagers that Google should be among them ... but Google has that Red Lobster correctly situated in MB ... which then begs the question ...

Who / what is the source of the Winnipeg, AB Red Lobster listing on Portage ...  :unsure: 

It is strange that data massaging routines allow an incorrect province field vis-a-vis the postal code to slip through ... but it's a strange world ... and stranger things have happened ...

Anyhoo ... hope that helps a bit … and it's time for some coffee ... Old Town rocks !

#58 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:49 AM

I’m looking at the app and seeing Winnipeg restaurants correctly listed as in Manitoba. If this is one individual restaurant maybe they completed their info wrong for some bizarre reason. Per Orik’s 2018 comment above, I think it’s more likely listings are based on submissions from the clients than AI web crawling millions of data records to figure out where places are.

#59 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,107 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:22 AM

1. What's the difference between Manitoba and Alberta anyway?

NEP6371091.jpg

#60 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:32 AM

Alberta is prettier, and has more cowboys. Also has fewer taxes, more services, and I suspect less poverty. And less snow.

I'm on my phone, but I'll try to edit the photo links tomorrow so the photos will actually show.

From the app
https://imgur.com/gallery/KFgAyme

Also from the app
https://imgur.com/gallery/vs650a2

From the website
https://imgur.com/gallery/K00xV98

The app location info doesn't appear to be crowdsourced, but I have no idea how I'd be able to tell if it were.