#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

Well, practically, I mean.

We were looking for something a little different this weekend, and I pulled up a few websites from the Micromanage topic.  The first thing Sig Eater said to me, on looking at (I think) the Eddy's menu was - every menu looks the same!

She's pretty close to spot on with that.

Kinda gets boring, don't you think?

We ended up walking over to Jack's Wife Freda, and had a nice little meal, with people a lot younger than us.

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

pretty much.. 

i can write you a generic menu that will cover about 90 percent of every Thai place, Vietnamese,  Indian Place, Italian Place, Greek Place, Vegetarian Place, Steakhouse, Chinese Restaurant, Korean Restaurant, New American brunch, lunch and dinner 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#3 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

Yes.  Every menu is the same.

The Brooklyn Bar Name and Menu generator.

No need to think up your own name and menu. Let the app do the work.

31292521582_1265bd515f_o.jpg

31321829431_498359b025_o.jpg

31292521742_417113846c_o.jpg

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,321 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

Years ago on eGullet I used to complain that everywhere offered foie gras, beef tenderloin, rack of lamb, or chicken.

Same today, except it's rutabaga, beef shin, lamb neck..., or chicken. 

#5 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

We ... had a nice little meal, with people a lot younger than us.

Can't imagine doing otherwise!    We are ALWAYS the oldest diners in the room.    Totally out of genre and that's the way we like it.  :ph43r:

Sure, foods trend, get stale and become passé.  How often do we read about a decade's style on MFF?     Beyond that, we demand seasonality and local product, then complain that every menu has the same produce or seasonal fish.   Or the moment's magic health benefit or trend.  

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#6 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:04 PM

Isn't this just a symptom of the pervasiveness of local/greenmarket cooking that has now extended beyond what we think of as "New American" cuisine? (i.e. global and local influences converging). Because of that, there's bound to be tons of overlap in purveyors and ingredients.

Boring? Not to me, personally. I'll gladly eat the heart in Hearth's variety burger as I will the heart carpaccio served at Metta. Unless you mean ubiquitous throwaway dishes like kale salads, etc., though at this point I feel like we all know what we're getting into when ordering kale salads.

You used the Eddy as an example. I guess some of the current menu sounds generic. I read somewhere that the chef is Hungarian and they point to that poussin dish as evidence of that. As a hypothetical, do you think you would find it less boring if the menu leaned more Hungarian?

#7 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,712 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

No one would complain about the abundance of French restaurants in France.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#8 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:33 PM

Complain?  No.   But in the past 25 years there has been a tremendous interest in newer style cooking, from drastically modernizing the classics to the inclusion of American/Brit/Aussie/Japanese flavors and techniques.    There's a lot to choose from.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:07 AM

Every "Asian" restaurant in the suburbs of Chicago has crab Rangoon.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:33 AM

Gerry, I don't think people are talking about Hearth's (unique) burger or Metta's (Argentine) beef heart dish.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:34 AM

Indeed, Metta is a restaurant I go to, even though I find the cooking uneven, because the Argentine-inflected menu is so interesting.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:58 AM

I liked to hear more about Metta experiences

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:03 AM

Tomorrow I'll write up my last visit.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:59 AM

Indeed, Metta is a restaurant I go to, even though I find the cooking uneven, because the Argentine-inflected menu is so interesting.

Yes, most menus do have an item or two of interest.  And I don't have a problem with everyone's heirloom tomato salad, provided it's deep summer and you got your heirlooms from someone that knows how to grow.

It's all the rest of the cookie-cutter shit I'm complaining about.

Bread with 3 kinds of butter.  Whole roasted branzino (or like last weekend, everryone had trout). That kale salad mentioned above, which I've never ordered, anywhere, ever.  And on and on.

#15 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,712 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

I'm going to belabour this a bit - we wouldn't make this complaint in Italy or France or Japan or Spain or Thailand. I don't see why, other than that the standard New American menu is much younger than the typical osteria menu (which isn't to address that most "interesting" places are pretty clearly in the post-momofuku, new American plus international influences plus post-avroko design of the moment).

The answer may be that these menus are too expensive, or too poorly executed, but those are different complaints than that the sameness is a bad in and of itself.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.