1 reply to this topic

#1 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:08 PM

Taproot is a new restaurant in Bethel, CT from a chef who is pretty well-known in the area for having worked in Norwalk and Westport.  It's a farm-to-table New American spot that wouldn't be out of place on any corner in Brooklyn.  But, the dishes are well-executed, reasonably priced, and it's an extremely welcome addition to the neighborhood in Bethel.  The prices seem high for the area, but "small plates" were 1.5-2x the size of what you'd expect in Brooklyn.  We had 1 snack, 3 small plates, 1 big plate, and 1 dessert and left feeling very full.

We ate:

• The beet and cucumber salad - I've had a million beet salads with goat cheese, and I think this is the best one I've ever had.  The vegetables were excellent and the vinaigrette was noticeable but not overpowering.
  • Shishito peppers - This came with some lovely goat ricotta, corn, and basil.  Again, it resembles a dish I've had many times, but was a very very good version of it.
  • Benton's ham and melon - This had an "IPA vinaigrette" on it that I'm going to try to get my dining companion to duplicate.  Again, a dish that I've had before but slightly tweaked and very delicious.
  • The Burger - This was good, but my least favorite thing we ate.  The bacon was so smoky that it overpowered everything else, so the burger was improved when we took it off.  Solid beef, too much bun.

Good beer selection.  Will be back every time I'm in the neighborhood.

Taproot's website

#2 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,201 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:31 AM

Taproot's chef, Jeff Taibe came from my favorite restaurant in Fairfield County,  Kawa Ni, which is owned by his brother Bill. Several friends have raved about Taproot. Happy to say that Kawa Ni is still great.  :)

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce