42 replies to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,574 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

Any opinions on whether these are the answer to all our problems?  Or whether Galaxy Note 8 is?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#2 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

No to both the iPhone X and the Note 8.

$1,000?  No.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

No.

I'm doing just fine with my Samsung 4, I feel like I'm carving messages on rocks, though.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

Comparison to other high end phones.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:15 PM

I'm trying to recall. anything I've ever boight on the basis of stats alone.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#6 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,356 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:37 PM

as always, the new iphone is revolutionary because it has features android phones had last year.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#7 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:57 PM

No.

I'm doing just fine with my Samsung 4, I feel like I'm carving messages on rocks, though.

If you borrow a friend's newer phone and use it for 5 minutes you'll see a very noticeable speed difference.  You may want to consider buying a refurbished S7 on Amazon.  They run between $300 and $350.

You just got through Hurricane Irma.  You deserve a treat.

#8 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,574 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:46 PM

More thoughts.....  http://www.slate.com...e560311138b4568

http://www.motherjon...-apple-sort-of/

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,913 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:33 AM

There is no way I'm not getting this.

So shoot me.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

Some of those stats are misleading - for example the camera on the existing iPhone is substantially better due to software,speed, and stabilization than the one on my Xperia Z5 even though the resolution and other optical parameters make the Sony product sound like it should be better.

Anyway, this seems like a bet by Apple on continued growth in East Asia (of incomes, not of iq) and nobody noticing they're canibalizing whatever is left of the tablet market. They're also probably counting on some deep carrier subsidies as the mvno threat keeps growing.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#11 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

There is no way I'm not getting this.

So shoot me.

Think of the cost in terms of just a couple of date-dinners.  

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#12 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,356 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:13 PM

Some of those stats are misleading - for example the camera on the existing iPhone is substantially better due to software,speed, and stabilization than the one on my Xperia Z5 even though the resolution and other optical parameters make the Sony product sound like it should be better.

on the other hand, the camera on my pixel is substantially better than that on mrs. jones' iphone 7. 

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,559 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

i am still trying to save up for the Gold Motorola Razor V3i phone

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#14 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

Yawn. Not the iPhones. The utterly predictable blather here.
I remember how it went in 2007 when I got the first iPhone. “Why do you have that?” “Because it has the full internet in my pocket.” There were two different responses I would receive: “My phone already has that.” Or “I don’t need the internet all the time. I have it on my work computer.” Both turned out to be bullshit.

Moving forward.

1. Everyone can cherrypick specs to show that their preferred phone has something that others do not have. This is because: a. All phones are compromises based upon the designer’s intent...you can’t put everything on one device due to size, weight, battery life etc. b. Apples and oranges. No, prior phones have not had something similar to FaceId. Fact. There are other devices that use facial recognition to unlock if you don’t mind an unsecure mechanism that is easily fooled by a photo. Apple is using 3D IR mapping solution based on PrimeSense technology (they purchased the company in 2013). The same tech that Microsoft uses on its newest computers with Hello Windows. That’s the only reason it’s secure enough to use for Apple Pay. (PrimeSense was behind the Kinect btw.)
No, there are no other phones with this on the market. (Microsoft probably could have done it if they had stayed in the market.)

But let’s keep cherry picking specs.

Yes, Apple is late to the Qi wireless standard. Probably going in on it now because in 2 years they’ll go completely portless. (I mean I only use the lightning port to charge. Once you go wireless you never go back.)

Yes, the X is the second (I think) phone on the market to support the Dolby HDR and HDR 10 standards. More on the reason for this below. (Lots of phones, including the iPhone 8, advertise as “HDR”....they’re not. If they don’t have Dolby HDR or HDR 10 listed, it’s purely marketing.

Yes, Apple is late to the OLED game. The reason for this is well known: there simply aren’t enough screens available. Fact. That’s the reason it’s only on the X and not on the 8. No one can manufacture small high quality OLED screens in iPhone quantities. But it’s a fair critique nonetheless. (There are drawbacks to OLED but it’s complicated.)

Both the 8 and the X are the only phones on the planet that can do 4K60FPS. And that’s not going to change for a bit. You may not care about that but if we’re going to cherrypick specs....the reason for this is below.

Apple is far far ahead on the CPU game. Everyone knows this. Everyone else depends upon Qualcomm (yes I know about the Exynos) to make the CPUs and they’re too far behind. The standard Android response the past three years all of a sudden has been “specs don’t matter, all modern phones are fast enough....this may well be true (if you’re not doing 4K at 60 FPS)...but it’s fucking funny to hear from Android folks...specs don’t matter unless you’re ahead.

Apple is far far ahead in AR (they’re sitting out in VR). In a couple years we will find out if this matters.

Yes the camera on the Pixel is very very good (though DXO Labs never came out with their promised 7+ review...which raises conspiratorial questions)...but it doesn’t have OIS. The iPhones do. Whether this matters depends on what you shoot. (OIS requires the camera bump...it’s a design question. Like I said, all phones are compromises.)

Security. We all know Apple runs away with that. It is what it is. Android doesn’t allow for a secure enclave. That may change in the future. But until it does, any police department or private investigator who buys a $400 software package from Cellebrite can do a DFE on almost any locked Android phone (the most secure ones may require an expensive chip-off procedure). Cellebrite now claims that they can extract from an IPhone 6 or 6s but it requires sending it to their lab in Israel and a six figure fee. They make no claims to open a 7. And ios11 makes these procedures even harder.
More important for the average user, you get updates on iOS. Good luck with that on anything other than a Pixel. Considering such things as the recent Equifax hack (which fucked everyone of us), it’s stunning to me that Android users tolerate this.

Apps. Which is all that really matters. Android users are cheap. All app developers know this. Which is why truly professional apps (like say TrialPad which is a bargain at $149) or the OmniFocus apps or Scrivener etc. are only on iOS.

Color Management. Android OS simply doesn’t allow for it. Android Oreo will change that but when will you get it on your device? And will your carrier have destroyed it?

So, yes, let’s all cherrypick our preferred specs to win the argument. The reality is that all the flagship phones are really good (except on security).

As for the cost of flagship phones today, if you took someone from twenty years ago and told them there existed a device small enough to fit in the pocket that replaced their car, their library, their newspaper, their television, their radio, their camera, their home phone, maps, their computer (if they had one)...and they could have it for $20,000 they would be impressed. If you said $1000 they wouldn’t believe you.

It’s the most important thing you own in your life and you’re complaining that the flagships (the X and the S8) cost a $1000 (never mind that perfectly good devices are half that). That’s insane. Just stop it.

(It’s kind of like that Slate symposium last week with articles on how bad airports and air travel have gotten....Only for leisure travelers. Which it’s true that airlines don’t care about (as they don’t generate the revenue). As all frequent fliers know, PreCheck and lounge access make all the difference. Lounge access is complicated but I don’t comprehend why there would be anyone who doesn’t get Precheck. It costs less than $20 a year. Folks are fricking cheap.)
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#15 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,356 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

i hope that when the spaceship comes to take us away you'll save me a seat.

~homer simpson