42 replies to this topic

#31 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

The "holy shit look at those Geekbench scores" shuffle is perennial and never amounts to much. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#32 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:56 PM

So what about the new iPhones?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#33 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:17 PM

Same as the old ones.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#34 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:06 PM

taion, size DOES matter

#35 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:21 AM

I missed the excitement, but did I hear dual SIMs? Depending on how it works, that could make my life a lot easier. I hate carrying 2 phones when I travel.

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."

#36 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:44 AM

I missed the excitement, but did I hear dual SIMs? Depending on how it works, that could make my life a lot easier. I hate carrying 2 phones when I travel.

You heard right.

"Apple's letting you embrace your inner duality with your iPhone. At Wednesday's Apple event, the company announced the launch of dual-SIM support for the iPhone. Both the iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Max will offer the dual SIM card option. 

This will allow you to have two different phone numbers and two different carriers on the same phone. While that sounds like a feature you'd only use if you have something to hide, it'll be quite useful if you want to make your personal phone and work phone the same device. During an incoming call, you'll even see which number the call is for, so you can ignore it if it's a work call during your vacation. Potentially, you also could keep your regular phone number when on a trip out of the country and buy a prepaid SIM from a local carrier for cheaper calls and data use."

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#37 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:40 AM

That is totally lame reporting if that is all they had to say on the topic.

And in fact it is technically wrong as they will NOT be offering a dual sim CARD option (outside of China). 

Support for the second sim is via eSIM support which is an extremely important detail.

More specifically ...

There’s another new feature that many people won’t notice, but could be make-or-break for buyers in some countries: dual SIM support. Both phones will support the use of two phone numbers and data plans, using a single physical SIM card and Apple’s integrated eSIM. That means carriers will need to add support for the eSIM in order for this to work (and many have been reluctant to); but it’s still a big addition, since Apple has never offered this before.

This feature won’t be available at launch, however. Apple says it’ll be enabled in a software update “later this fall.” And in China, where the eSIM isn’t allowed for some reason, Apple will instead ship a special version of the XS Max that includes two physical SIM trays.

#38 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:04 PM

As long as I can use the eSIM for T-Mobile, having one physical card slot should be fine for me. It's a moot point until I come back from this trip anyway since I leave Sunday. I have to be Blondie TwoPhones for a few more months :(

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,523 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:53 AM

You'll always be Blondie TwoPhones to us.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:27 AM

Speaking of phones.  I have 13 months left on a contract with Verizon.  I see that based on my advanced years and their promotion, I can get a significantly better deal with T-Mobile.  So do I pay off my Verizon contract, get my phone unlocked and then go to T-Mobile?  Or do I just go to T-Mobile and let them buy out my contract, etc.?  Any advice appreciated.

Then that happened.

#41 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,699 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:46 PM

Speaking of phones.  I have 13 months left on a contract with Verizon.  I see that based on my advanced years and their promotion, I can get a significantly better deal with T-Mobile.  So do I pay off my Verizon contract, get my phone unlocked and then go to T-Mobile?  Or do I just go to T-Mobile and let them buy out my contract, etc.?  Any advice appreciated.

first make sure T mobile has good service where you'll be. i can't get any T mobile bars in my home so no bargain prices for me in my dotage

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#42 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:36 PM

thanks, splinky.

Then that happened.

#43 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,699 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:18 PM

thanks, splinky.

i live to serve

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*