4 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,947 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

I didn't specifically write-up any of the meals we had while in London 3+ months ago. But a friend was asking me today about the places we enjoyed, and I scrolled back through some notes.

We had a thoroughly wonderful meal here, and the atmosphere is intriguing, to say the least.

I'm still not going to specifically write-up our meal, but Jay Rayner did his. Here's some of what he had to say...

The six-month-old restaurant at Bonhams, which is open for breakfast and lunch and for a set menu on Thursday nights only, is literally one of London’s hidden gems. 
The paintings are misdirection. Kemble’s food is in no way heavy or burdened by luxury for its own sake. It is calm and thoughtful and precise and really quite startlingly beautiful. It’s serious cooking of the best sort, which is to say the kind that makes you giggle with pleasure.   

Prior to a stint at a Chiswick restaurant, Kemble worked for Magnus Nilsson at Fäviken in Sweden and brings back with him less a Scandinavian agenda – in our meal the mood was lighter and sunnier and altogether more Francophile – but an obsessive’s commitment to quality raw materials. The cooking served some of the finest ingredients I have come across in a long while. Plus, he has all the skills. At the beginning there is some of the very best bread, a crunchy crusted sour dough with an addictively chewy crumb, served with the sort of yellow Normandy butter you could smear on a close friend. 

#2 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,319 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

Can't think of when I might put this to the test, but as someone who used to haunt these halls, this sounds like a terrific idea and excellent execution.    Drool over and pet things that you will never own, then sit down for a pampering lunch to rebuild the deflated ego.  

Wish I were there...

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#3 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,947 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

Isn't it nice to read a well-written restaurant review?

#4 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,319 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:21 PM

The wine list is interesting.    The most expensive by the glass are an Australian chardonnay and a Napa zin, each at around $24.   Ouch!     Others that (to me) are much more appealing are under $10.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#5 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:54 AM

Bonham's sadly shut down at the end of 2018, although the chef Tom Kemble had left a few months previously.  A shame, it really was very good.  It will be interesting to see what he does next.