12 replies to this topic

#1 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:12 AM

Fresh nopales!    How come I've never tried these?!     I finally bought several paddles from the guy who sells them at our Sunday flea.   A guy stands and shaves the spines.   Sold RTC at $2.00 a pound. 

Most recipes suggest boiling/stewing them.   But I finally found that grilling was an option.   Oh, yes!!!   

Salt, pepper, olive oil.   Super hot grill pan.    Cook maybe 5 minutes per side.   And, OMG!    These are so delicious!   

(Tonight, in a salad of red pepper and red onion.   No vinegar, just the residual OO.) 

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,780 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:29 AM

I've never had grilled nopales.  I hope someday I can.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,780 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:29 AM

I remember the first time I ever had them (stewed). I was like, FUCK . . . .

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Anónimo

Anónimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

We live in Michoacán México, in a world of nopales. In fact, we have the plant in our back yard. But I usually buy a small bag for $5 or $10 pesos, which is a lot of nopales. I use one or two smaller pads in a blended smoothie, called "Jugo Verde" It's made of orange or grapefruit juice, celery, parsley, nopal and some fresh pineapple. Other additions are optional: flaxseed, nutritional yeast, fresh ginger root, etc.

It's best drunk soon, as its refrigerated life is maybe 1-2 days. It's healthful and reputed to help in a weight loss diet. It's also beneficial for the alimentary tract.

Another excellent use for nopales is the refreshing Ensalada de Nopales, made by cutting the pads into thin strips and blanching them briefly in boiling salted water. A pinch of baking soda tends to reduce the baba or slime.

The rinsed, cooled strips are then seasoned with fresh lime juice, finely diced onion, diced tomato, fresh chiles (I use chile perón  or serrano), cilantro, and salt to taste.

Buen provecho,
Anónimo

Tzintzuntzan, Michoacán, México

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,339 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Another excellent use for nopales is the refreshing Ensalada de Nopales, made by cutting the pads into thin strips and blanching them briefly in boiling salted water. A pinch of baking soda tends to reduce the baba or slime.

The rinsed, cooled strips are then seasoned with fresh lime juice, finely diced onion, diced tomato, fresh chiles (I use chile perón  or serrano), cilantro, and salt to taste.

This sure sounds like that salad both Sneakeater and I have enjoyed at Atla.

#6 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

I'm glad you brought up the slime. I shy away from nopales because of it, even though I don't mind it in okra. Is that the only way to eliminate it?

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#7 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

I'm glad you brought up the slime. I shy away from nopales because of it, even though I don't mind it in okra. Is that the only way to eliminate it?

The reason I chose to grill the paddles, and will continue to do so, is to avoid the slime and for the resulting tender but (yes, Suzanne, your word) "toothsome" product.      FWIW, I also grill okra for the same reason.  

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#8 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

You can also bake the cactus strips. It takes a while, but the slime does dry out of them, eventually. I wish I could get someone to de-spine them for me. I always manage to stab myself at least once.

#9 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

My C-Town frequently has them, already despined. (One of the few vegetables I have to get at the supermarket instead of Greenmarket) I guess I should give them another try. You say grill pan worked okay, voyager? I like that idea.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#10 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

Just finished a batch.    Salt, pepper, EVOO, then into hot grillpan.    Fan on, but i noticed no smoke or odor.    I do like the grilled taste this adds.

37370691755_f650528588_z.jpg

I notice that Pati Zinich sautes the cubed paddles until they are "dry".    Same effect I would think.

Finished salad: nopales, early girl tomatoes, white onion, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, fresh white cheese.   I didn't add oil since the paddles were grilled with a coating of EVOO.    This is REALLY nice.

36558874013_b820ebbe5b_z.jpg

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#11 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:11 PM

re slime, tomatillo skins with the boiling paddles and cooking in copper both help. 

http://www.ranchogor...th-nopales.html

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#12 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:13 PM

In case you find some in the wild (which isn't so hard to do), here's how i clean them. 

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#13 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for the tips!