4 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:29 AM

Bloomberg has a nice mention of The Brentwood, a motel located back of the track. Away from the upscale places fancied by the swells who visit Saratoga each year.

in the mornings you can sit there with a coffee and see all the horses walk down the street,” said Jou-Yie Chou, partner at Brooklyn-based Studio Tack, who transformed the run-down motor lodge into an elegant retreat with reclaimed white-oak flooring, high-shine black wainscoting, vintage oil paintings, and an intimate Carrara marble-topped lobby bar. “We wanted it to be handsome,” Chou said, “not kitsch or cute.” From $139

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-06/you-d-never-know-these-gorgeous-hotels-were-once-ugly-motels

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

I'm a "swell?"

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

You sure are!
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#4 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

LOL. I did consider staying there this year, but it's inconvenient to get downtown.  I like to walk but the walk home after dinner could be a little dicey in that area of Saratoga. The apartment we rent is five minute walk to downtown and a 20 minute walk to the track. It's perfect for us.

I know people who have stayed at The Brentwood and they love it. But it's more expensive than $139 during racing season.

#5 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

The new restaurant getting some buzz this year is The Blue Hen, located in the Adelphi Hotel. The word is it's good for dinner but avoid their breakfast and brunch service.

Of course the consensus choice of where to eat is Osteria Danny. It continues to be the best by far. I have three reservations there during this meet.