1 reply to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,353 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:37 AM

Had dinner at the new restaurant. Liked it. Said hello to Zod, he seemed very happy to be cooking. Some signage still says Martinsville Taverna, that will be changing. Menu uses the Duke & Elephant name.

Nice space, very inviting bar, several steps into the building, and down to the main dining area. A secondary area inside the main building requires just the steps into the entry way. There are three main rooms, a bar room with tables, a same floor room with a half dozen tables and several alcoves, and a large sunny front room, down a few steps. The main room abuts the main street, and gets some traffic noise. The large windows were open and provided great breezes.

Nice beer list, small but nicely chosen wine list. My sister ordered the tavern burger, perfectly cooked to medium rare, topped with an onion, mushroom jam. Good roll, fine fries. I can see this as a great lunch item.

Two nice big pieces of crisp octopus, served over a bed of steamed cabbage, chick peas, capers, fennel, garlic, and vinegar/oil. Liked this. Small plate of grilled shrimp, lemons, lots of flavor. A chef's gift of two meatballs with a fresh tomato sauce, fresh ricotta, little bit of basil, and a piece of rustic bread. Liked this a lot, with a lightly packed meatball.

I had a six point pumpkin ale, my sister had a good Chard.

The GM mentioned several people came over from Cafe Azzurro, and they've hired locally. Training every day. Mix of older and younger people. A few rough edges (thanks, you guys), but the polish far outweighed a few loose ends. Kitchen has been updated.

1979 Washington Valley Road, at the Chimney Rock Road traffic signal. Parking is available at the adjacent Condor Capital Investment office.

Prices skew a little high, but probably not unreasonable for the area
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,977 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:48 AM

How mature of me not to post that video (patting myself on the back).

Bar Loser

MF Old