25 replies to this topic

#16 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,045 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:23 AM

i mean, there are many restaurants in thai town, a large fraction of whose menu entries are "not for beginners" and they don't need to be described as such...

And there are some very respectable Thai spots in NoHo as well.  Even Pasadena now has a clutch of Thai places.  https://la.eater.com...geles-essential

Then that happened.

#17 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,052 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:03 AM

I would so love to hear what you think about Ugly Baby in Brooklyn.  Which I understand would probably, in your estimation, be no better than the upper part of the middle.

Unfortunately, the chances of your being in Carroll Gardens seem, um, remote.

hey, i'm no authority on thai food.

there's an outside chance we might be in nyc in early jan for the mla. at about 10% right now.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#18 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,267 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:17 AM

i have not been to kin khao*. but there's a certainly a more diverse set of thai restaurants in los angeles--and has been for a long time--than in san francisco.

*though i suspect that on the basis of taste alone, there might be a few; kin khao, i'm sure, has them all beat on ambience, service and high-end ingredients and plating.

Kin khao is a barely decorated room in the weird service lobby facing the crazy street person who throws oranges. You'd like to frame it as a "fancy" place but it just isn't. I'm just curious because I'm pretty sure the answer is no (based on pics)

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#19 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,052 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:32 AM

i was just assuming kin khao is a fancy place--i've not seen pics of the space, just some of the food (mostly on your instagram, i think). but no, there are no thai places in los angeles that are composing dishes in the manner they seem to be. i'm not sure why that's so important. hor mok as a terrine in a mason jar looks nice i'm sure but doesn't necessarily taste better than hor mok steamed in a leaf.

actually, having just skimmed a couple dozen pictures of the food on yelp, the food doesn't seem so very different presentation-wise from regular thai restaurants. not true? and there doesn't seem to be anything remarkably different about the menu either other than rabbit in the green curry and wild boar in the larb. beyond the occasional ingredient i'm not seeing anything on the menu that anyone who eats in thai town would be surprised to see. and compared to something like jitlada's southern menu this looks pretty conventional. i'm sure they execute at a very high level. not sure when i'll next be in s-f but i hope to eat there for sure.

but is there more to thai food in san francisco beyond kin khao? in portland beyond pok pok? in dc beyond little serow?

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#20 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:39 AM

judging restaurant off of Insta pics.

Maybe you are lex? 

Why not mayo?

#21 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,052 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:54 AM

well, isn't that what orik is doing as well?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no (based on pics) 

i didn't bring up kin khao. i only noted that los angeles' thai town has a hardcore thai restaurant scene unlike any in other american cities:

i have not been to kin khao*. but there's a certainly a more diverse set of thai restaurants in los angeles--and has been for a long time--than in san francisco.

*though i suspect that on the basis of taste alone, there might be a few; kin khao, i'm sure, has them all beat on ambience, service and high-end ingredients and plating.

since orik then said that based on pics it didn't look like places in l.a were doing what kin khao does, i went and looked at pics of kin khao's food on yelp and was surprised to see that it doesn't look all that unusual. so i'm not sure what exactly orik's point is.

anyway, here's night + market song's current menu. and here's night + market west hollywood.

~homer simpson

#22 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,267 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:34 AM

Those LA places just seem like the equivalents of curry house level Indian joints. (just trolling you here but they do seem to be a good few notches less capable)

#23 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,052 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:03 AM

maybe. i hope to be able to compare at some point. surprised you haven't eaten at jitlada (i haven't either in a couple of years but if kin khao is a good few notches better then they must really be extraordinary). anyway, my point remains that los angeles has a far wider and deeper thai food scene (and in night + market has a place that's been doing kin khao'ish things since 2010--when did kin khao open?). so if a writer--especially for the new york times--wants to report on non-cookie cutter thai food in the u.s, l.a would seem to be a good place to start.

~homer simpson

#24 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:51 AM

Sure. Obviously reasonable. Just that not focusing on la (but mentioning it) isn’t in and of itself unreasonable.
Why not mayo?

#25 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,052 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:41 AM

sure. but since we're all being reasonable, let me posit that in this context, los angeles deserves a bit more of a mention than as merely the site of a thai consulate or as a place, like portland, where new kinds of thai food are available. it should be possible for a bureau chief at the ny times to do that without focusing their article on los angeles. start with l.a and how a city with such a large thai population has been able to sustain a lot of non cookie-cutter thai restaurants for a long time (along with even more cookie-cutter thai restaurants) and go on to how with more time that has begun to spread to other locations that don't have huge thai populations: for example, lotus of siam is a migrant l.a restaurant. maybe pick up on the fact that it might be in places that are not catering to large thai populations that certain kinds of innovations might be more apt to happen first (pok pok happens in portland not l.a; night + market is very much a post-pok pok restaurant).

~homer simpson

#26 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,267 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

Somtum Der? 

Yes, it's exactly that a certain class of restaurant is likely to happen where there's a pile of hmong or pre-industrial Thai immigrants, but that class gradually goes stale (as the broth at quang goes murky) and focusing on it seems LEX-ish.