• PipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

Here's my schadenfreude:

Wednesday, October 12, 1988, at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, California

Team              1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9          R   H   E

New York       0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0           0   5   2

Los Angeles 1 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 X           6 10   0

WP: Orel Hershiser (1–0)   LP: Ron Darling (0–1)

#78 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,667 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

Good series, well played.

Michael Lewis, of MoneyBall, was on CBS this morning.  He reminded the hosts that both teams are descended in front office management from disciples of Billy Beane. Work with young players, exploit them as much as you can, let them go off for big bucks as free agents.  Repeat frequently

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#79 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,594 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

Good series, well played.

Michael Lewis, of MoneyBall, was on CBS this morning.  He reminded the hosts that both teams are descended in front office management from disciples of Billy Beane. Work with young players, exploit them as much as you can, let them go off for big bucks as free agents.  Repeat frequently

It has always bothered me that this is seen as some sort of innovative unusual theory.  Working for NYS, we couldn't compete with the private sector's non-set salaries (we had a rigid "scale") & unlimited earning potential.  We always recruited Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Social Workers & Rehab. staff using the above approach.  "Come work for us when you get your credentials & we'll make sure that your work is known outside of our agency so that you can build your career elsewhere after 2 years with us".  We fully utilized each of them (I wouldn't have used the term "exploit") & helped push their careers elsewhere, while they then helped us recruit new, young staff to replace them.  Worked well.

This space available… contact owner.

#80 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,708 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

Steve, with your background you may want to become a General Manager.  You're tanned, rested, and ready.  You already spend winters in Florida.  All you'd have to do is watch some ballgames in the owner's box.

If Brian Cashman's next pick for Yankee's manager doesn't make the World Series next year there very well may be a vacancy in the Bronx.  Rich would recommend you.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#81 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,667 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

Steve R's analysis also applies to assistant prosecutors, some public defenders, etc. Good, solid skills, work very hard and get your expertise on the firing line. You'll be noticed.  Move to the private sector.

(In NJ, you could also take a part time job as a town or county board counsel, etc and stay in the state employee pension system after you moved to private practice. As long as you came back for 24 months full time before your retirement, your entire time counted as pension / health credits. Classic white collar welfare.)

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#82 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,209 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:42 AM

Is LA Title Town?  https://www.nytimes....ght-region&_r=0

We shall see.

Then that happened.