54 replies to this topic

#31 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:48 AM

Couple of visits to Bareburger, not recent, and just didn't love their meat burgers.

#32 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

White Castle fries may come in only one size but, their burgers now are a different story 

Significantly so:

On the right is the newly added impossible slider, on the left is your run of the mill slider with ghost pepper cheese. 

39755033540_1609f58f3d.jpg

Meat Pulp:

26694709827_96f4b29d52.jpg

If you think about a white castle, the thin, grey, onion soaked patty, there is really nothing lost when just switching to a plant based pulp instead of a meat and plant based pulp... It's just the natural progression, you have fucked with the meat so much, you might as well get rid of the meat.. 

I will not talk about the experience of  going to a white castle.. Watching 80 year old woman and her side kick take on a busy lunch ... With only 3 people ahead of me, i thought it was going to be a quick in and out.. Well, if everyone ahead of you orders 30 at time, it's going to take 20 minutes..  Right as I got my food the 12:00 person showed up, making it three in the kitchen. 

But, yeh, impossible burger at white castle.. I applaud them for rolling those out..

Unfortunately, my burger was not made correctly. .Cheese upside down, missing a pickle (from the photo), missing any condiment outside of a smoky cheddar.. But, yeh, it had the onions, it had the steamed bun.. Not so much a steamed patty.. 

Impossible burger, you are going to see a lot more of it.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#33 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

I had the bare burger version recently and the texture is pretty convincing, its very much like an overly large bar burger thats falling apart. it didnt taste like meat to me, but the soy sauce and mushroom flavor wasnt terrible and Ill probably have one again. the court street location still has a terrific beer list.

if thats the myrtle ave white castle Im surprised its still there.

#34 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

I had the bare burger version recently and the texture is pretty convincing, its very much like an overly large bar burger thats falling apart. it didnt taste like meat to me, but the soy sauce and mushroom flavor wasnt terrible and Ill probably have one again. the court street location still has a terrific beer list.

When I moved to Clinton Hill over 10 years ago, it was a fun place to be.. I was between two white castles.. One on Myrtle and one on Atlantic.. Both of those have since closed.. I think you can get a pashmina scarf and a soy late there now..  But, there is one down in Bushwick on myrtle.. I believe it's rought 3.1 miles from my house... 

No doubt, Pratt has been a large force in the sucking up of the neighborhood due to their unwillingness to support local businesses and their shitty landlording.

I was at the one in Elizabeth NJ today.. 

#35 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:33 PM

the myrtle one outlasted the mcdonalds that was right there by at least ten years IIRC.

#36 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

Also was shocked the other day when I was searching for my White Castle by Empire State building and I found out there are no longer white castles in Manhattan anymore.. 

#37 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,419 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

So what beer goes well with an Impossible Burger? O'Douls? :ph43r:

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#38 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,575 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

When I moved to Clinton Hill over 10 years ago, it was a fun place to be.. I was between two white castles.. One on Myrtle and one on Atlantic.. Both of those have since closed.. I think you can get a pashmina scarf and a soy late there now..  But, there is one down in Bushwick on myrtle.. I believe it's rought 3.1 miles from my house... 

No doubt, Pratt has been a large force in the sucking up of the neighborhood due to their unwillingness to support local businesses and their shitty landlording.

You've been there for 10 years?  Golly, time flies like bananas.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#39 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,998 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:20 PM

The ones sold at Fatburger taste pretty good.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#40 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,419 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:08 PM

You've been there for 10 years?  Golly, time flies like bananas.

Bananas fly?

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#41 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:19 PM

Flying bananas do.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#42 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:48 AM

Can't wait for impossible Arby's 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#43 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,688 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:57 AM

arby's is already serving imitation food.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#44 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,216 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

Wouldn’t impossible Arby’s be actual meat.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#45 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:22 PM

Ok flash forward almost a year and I am 15 pounds heavier, so much less healthy and feel like shit a lot of the times but, I am eating like a champ... I try to eat vegan during the day and for the most part only eat  fish.. However, a recent friendship sparked with Peter Luger's and a renewed love for cheese plates, has left me on the path to ruin... 

Anyway, i had purchased a bunch of these patties a few weeks ago as they are hard to come and freeze well.. This is the Beyond Burger.. I was vegan for a month this summer and was really enjoying these things.. Now that I am not a vegan, well, these things are a bad time... 

They are actually worse than a bean patty, or a morningstar farm thing, or many of the industrial veggie burgers... They are meaty and chewy and just not good... They definitely taste much different than I remember.. Again, i have only had them while being vegan.. Maybe with all the demand they changed the recipe... Whatever it is, i am left with heart burn and just a bad feeling... I am assuming that if you are a true vegan, this may be a great source of protein and it's filling and whatever but, to add this to a regular diet, well, I feel worse than if I had a mc donalds cheeseburger which, I have had several recently.. .

Office griddle

This thing starts leaking immediately, i took several swipes with paper towels.. 

31037807998_d66affaa5b_z.jpg

Vegan cheese, martins potato roll.. I get the irony. 

31036962028_1fa4db74d0_z.jpg

43097664540_162bb46366_z.jpg

yeh, no thanks.  again, i don't know if it's a new recipe or if I am a new man. either way, i would not recommend this if you are eating a balanced diet, there is something that just makes me feel physically terrible.