55 replies to this topic

#16 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:13 AM

The only way I know you can put not-fresh pasta into a cooker and have it come out fully cooked in a few minutes is to parcook it and let it dry again. (But then, I'm not Mark Ladner who knows some sort of magic.) Lots of places go the par-cook, cook, then throw it into boiling water for a couple of minutes and voilà, "freshly cooked" pasta. That's how instant ramen work.

Yes, I believe that's exactly what Ladner is doing.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#17 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,040 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

The only way I know you can put not-fresh pasta into a cooker and have it come out fully cooked in a few minutes is to parcook it and let it dry again. (But then, I'm not Mark Ladner who knows some sort of magic.) Lots of places go the par-cook, cook, then throw it into boiling water for a couple of minutes and voilà, "freshly cooked" pasta. That's how instant ramen work.

Me too - though I thought there might actually be some freezing involved - perhaps after par-cooking the pasta?

#18 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

Me too - though I thought there might actually be some freezing involved - perhaps after par-cooking the pasta?

The pasta is imported from Italy and frozen in a factory in the Midwest according to Cuozzo, who loves it. Then again, he raved about Made Nice and Martina (which both also got positive write-ups from Time Out NY and Village Voice).

It's funny. On the other hand you have Wells and Sutton, who've been sort of dancing around each other for the past few years, slamming Per Se and both panning Made Nice (not sure if there are other examples). Sutton disliked Martina and Pasta Flyer. Wonder if either will get an NYT review.

Also, Sneak, did you happen to try the meatballs? Sutton called them "otherworldly," while Cuozzo says they're "flavorless."

#19 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

Pasta imported from Italy is no guarantee of quality: see Barilla.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#20 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,040 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

I liked Martina, on both of two visits.

#21 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,396 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

Pasta imported from Italy is no guarantee of quality: see Barilla.

Almost all Barilla pasta sold in the USA is made in the USA, not imported from Italy.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

This place is started to sound more and more exciting. Cant wait until they roll out their Nutella desserts lasagna
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#23 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

Given the premise of this place, the pre-opening publicity and the price point this is turning out pretty much as I expected.

In the media there's been some talk about Pasta Flyer being the Shake Shack of pasta.  The problem with that is there's a mystique about burgers that doesn't extend to  pasta.  That mystique made Shake Shack out to be more than it was.  Ladner doesn't get the benefit of anything like that.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#24 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,040 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

He needs to run out of stuff, or only offer like 6 uni pastas a day.

#25 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:30 PM

Genius!
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,138 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

Also, Sneak, did you happen to try the meatballs? Sutton called them "otherworldly," while Cuozzo says they're "flavorless."

No, I made the assumption that they'd be as Cuozzo ended up characterizing them.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,138 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

(Well, maybe Lamarca makes its own sauces, IDK. But many sauces are cooked in batches in lots of places.)

Oh, I see I was unclear. I don't want to suggest that Pasta Flyer doesn't make its own sauces; I'm sure it does. I just meant that I'm sure they're batched pretty largely.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#28 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

(Well, maybe Lamarca makes its own sauces, IDK. But many sauces are cooked in batches in lots of places.)

Oh, I see I was unclear. I don't want to suggest that Pasta Flyer doesn't make its own sauces; I'm sure it does. I just meant that I'm sure they're batched pretty largely.

I'm sure you're right.  At their price point that's pretty much mandatory.

They may find an audience for this but it's not likely to be us.

#29 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,040 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:08 PM

Do shopping malls still exist in great flyover country?

#30 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

Do shopping malls still exist in great flyover country?

You have some treats in store.  Visit the Kings Plaza mall at the end of Flatbush Ave.  Or even better, pair up a visit to a Staten Island thin crust pizza place with a visit to the Staten Island mall.  It's another world.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mark Ladner, Pasta, Village