#1 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

Slovenia:

Ljubljana might be the most beautiful city no one has been too. So fricking gorgeous and pleasant. Add it to your bucket list now. Its basically a theme park except real. Very few Americans but a fair amount of Asian tourists on the weekends. They probably couldnt handle too many more tourists...its a small city and there are only a couple hotels (I rented an apartment which I recommend). Buildings look like St. Petersburg but its all set not the river with multiple pretty bridges. Its probably most similar to Salzburg in how its laid out (complete with a fortress on a hill overlooking). Food: pretty good actually. Its kind of a mixture of Balkan and adjoining Italian...their own version of proscuitto and lots of pasta. Horsemeat is a thing too. Everyone speaks English somewhat (their TV is mostly in English and subtitled in Slovenian). The restaurants right on the riverwalks are predictably bad/overpriced but once you go a block away...I liked Soba 102 quite a bit (not everything was great though). Everyone goes to the Friday food festival. Centralna Postaja might be one of the coolest (I dont mean that ironically) bars Ive ever been too. They begin the day with a ridiculously cheap breakfast buffet, followed by it being a lunch/coffee shop spot, followed by it turning into a bar with the best cocktails in Slovenia with pub food and an internet radio station. Open late. I liked Ljubljana so much I changed my plans and stayed a couple extra days.

Lake Bled: its every bit as pretty as youve read. Remarkably photogenic. Dont go for the food but its only an hour from Ljubljana so you have to at least day trip. Im glad I stayed a night here though....seeing Lake Bled at both sunrise and sunset is just nuts.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#2 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

I agree with everything Nathan said above- I have some pics from 2013.  I only had an ipad at the time, so couldn't post them.

Daily specials at a restaurant called Marley and Me, which according to the internet is still there, and well rated.

24377890050_d79c24aecf_z.jpg

The jdrija dumplings, which remember as being perfect comfort food on a cool May day.

24305733909_a2fdbaab16_z.jpg

Octopus salad, which the then-H described as very good- he ordered octopus everywhere- and rabbit when possible.

24371358539_542314f9b0_z.jpg

Town shots:

The Three Bridges:

24550212982_bcf5b171c3_z.jpg

24372455800_7427fe23e9_z.jpg

There's a farm market in the pedestrian area of town. It seems to be a thing in both Croatia and Slovenia that the farm markets have the green and white striped awnings- apologies for my fat finger there in the corner.

24210949693_d25ce78002_z.jpg

Across from the market is this- it's an old wall, into which multiple cafes and other food/drink shops have been situated. So, you can get a coffee in one, a sausage in another, a drink in another, and sit outside.  Some have wait service, so only sit there if you're getting something from them, obviously. On the other side to the left is the river- that group sitting there is in a breezeway that has seating and connects the river to the market area.

24209618864_8124769c8c_z.jpg

And- there's an old map on a wall next to a former town well- you can see the top of it in the bottom of the pic.  It's off the pedestrian area, but it's very interesting:

24371264779_0987ce75e1_z.jpg

And sign for the famed Hot Horse, taken from the highway. 

24550084842_df64d5ceb6_z.jpg

I really enjoyed my time here as well.

#3 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:52 PM

If you have the opportunity to try roast pig, please do! I've never been Slovenia, but the roast pig the Slovenian Pavilion does here during the summer (2 good sized pigs/night for a week) are excellent!

#4 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:16 AM

2 years later: Ljubljana is now packed with Americans and still beautiful. Debated between two of the “fancy” places for dinner:
JB (once on the SP list) and Strelec. Went with Strelec. Tasting menu of 7ish courses. Some very good meat dishes. Seafood less successful (not bad). Lots of foams and so forth. Desserts were good. About Michelin one star. Excellent at the price point. Go to Ljubljana because it’s beautiful, and Strelec is just fine.

Piran: No Americans and it’s tiny but gorgeous. Venetian town set on an isthmus. Beautiful narrow streets, churches, walls, ocean. Two nights is right, three nights slightly too long. Mussels with tomato and cheese at Cantina off the square. Langoustines at Pavel 1 or 2. And repeat. Every meal. You will be very happy and full.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.