13 replies to this topic

#1 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

I'm currently in Split, Croatia, and I check out of my flat on the 3rd. I have no idea where to go next.

My requirements are:

- It need to be affordable (I'm currently paying about $20/day since I booked for a month)

- no ice! I broke my ankle last year, and ice terrifies me. Also, I don't really have winter clothes

- must be non-visa required, or visa on arrival or e-visa for US passport holders

- not too bloody hot. Singapore about killed me, but also because I got Dengue there.

- must have good food (duh)

- need internet. (work)

I have 34 days left for the Schengen Area, and about 60 for Croatia

Getting out of Split in off season is a little difficult, An overnight Ferry to Italy is easiest, or a bus to Zagreb.

My thoughts have been all over the map, literally.  

-Kerala, and having a yoga retreat. It's not crazy hot there, and I've never been to India.  I can get an e-visa. I'm a little afraid of travelling alone in India, however, rightly so or victim of fake news? 

-I could stay here, giving me more time to figure it out.

-Pula, Croatia- the climate is much like here, and it's off-season, so cheap.  I can get there on the ferry in 4 hours.

-Visit a friend in Lecce, Italy for a week or so, but that ticks down my Schengen days, and I don't know where to go after.

- Morocco? I spent some time a couple of years ago near Agadir and Essaouria and while it's lovely, and the food can be very good, there's not a lot of diversity there. 

Returning to the States isn't really an option, as I have nowhere to go there- Sold the house years ago.

What do you suggest?  Help me Obi-wan, you're my only hope!

#2 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

By "not a lot of diversity" do you mean in terms of ethnicity, food, ...??

The Philippines is pretty cheap and it's not too hot yet. If my mother were there now you could go hang with her, but she won't arrive until January.

I'd still vote for Morocco of the places you mentioned. I spent 3 or so months there shortly after 9/11, and I consider that stay to be one of the experiences that most changed my view of the world. The Philippines is also on that list, but in not-so-positive ways (I was 10 when I lived there, though).

#3 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

From Italy across to Montenegro/Albania/Greece? 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#4 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

By "not a lot of diversity" do you mean in terms of ethnicity, food, ...??

Yes- but especially about the food.  Like many of us here, I can't eat the same thing/flavor profile every day.  Well, I can, but I'd rather not ;)

#5 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

From Italy across to Montenegro/Albania/Greece? 

I've thought about that- I can just go south into Montenegro pretty easily from here by bus.

#6 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:28 PM

Update- I've booked myself in an apartment (with oven!) in Pula from 8 Dec - 7 Jan. However, I'm still interested in advice, because I will be in the same situation at the end of that. 

One of the problems with Split in off-season, as I mentioned, it's hard to get out. As one goes south, it doesn't get easier until you get to Greece. And then I'm using Schengen days and it's too cold to swim :) I'd prefer Greece when it's a little warmer, maybe spring.

Thanks for your thoughts.

#7 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,544 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:16 PM

to answer your questions about kerala: kerala is lovely and relatively safe for single women travelers (certainly safer than delhi). if you're going to a yoga retreat and not wandering around the countryside by yourself, it's probably completely safe. the food will be amazing.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#8 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,544 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:12 AM

kerala is...relatively safe for single women travelers (certainly safer than delhi). 

okay, i take that part back.

but i'll stand by this part:

if you're going to a yoga retreat and not wandering around the countryside by yourself, it's probably completely safe. the food will be amazing.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#9 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the info, mongo. I hate that I'm so curious about visiting India, but might be too chicken to do so.  I know that at the retreat I'll be safe, but I still have to get there, probably through Kochi. 

#10 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

South Africa?

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#11 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

South Africa?

I was in SA and Zimbabwe for several months in Nov 2015-March 2016. I liked both countries a lot, and for sure Botswana and Namibia are on my list. This is a good reminder to explore that more thoroughly- thank you for that. Excellent suggestion :)

#12 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,544 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

if you were not worried about safety in south africa and zimbabwe, i'd suggest you don't need to worry about it in kerala either. my retraction above was more to do with my lazy assumption that kerala must have low rates of sexual assault generally. very few tourists are ever assaulted anywhere in india and the chances of it happening decline further with appropriate caution. you could ask the retreat you're looking at for advice on how to get there safely from kochi (or wherever). 

~homer simpson

#13 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:16 PM

if you were not worried about safety in south africa and zimbabwe, i'd suggest you don't need to worry about it in kerala either. my retraction above was more to do with my lazy assumption that kerala must have low rates of sexual assault generally. very few tourists are ever assaulted anywhere in india and the chances of it happening decline further with appropriate caution. you could ask the retreat you're looking at for advice on how to get there safely from kochi (or wherever). 

Good advice.   Hosts and locals are a wealth of current inside information.   I try not to reinvent the wheel when traveling.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#14 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

Good advice.   Hosts and locals are a wealth of current inside information.   I try not to reinvent the wheel when traveling.

Quite right, both. Thanks for that- I am vigilant no matter where I am, as one should be. I try and also be aware of sensationalism, and not allow that to be my guide.