5 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

From Food 52, sounds like a great recipe.  The text notes the recipe has been tweaked to reduce the amount of bechamel, and seasonal items like fresh peas or artichokes certainly could be used. A pound of mushrooms is impressive.

https://food52.com/r...sciutto-lasagna

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

Sounds a treat.    I am reminded of a dinner party some decades ago.   A work associate and her husband among the guests.   Friday night so I made a meatless but super-loaded with chopped mushroom lasagna.    Very substantial and a great hit with everyone but the husband who smiled and ate around it.    I apologized later to the wife for disappointing her husband.    "Oh, no, he loved it.   He just couldn't eat it because he doesn't eat meat on Friday."   

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,807 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:43 PM

This was the superstar dish out of Fabio Trabocchi's kitchen in the short-lived Stephen Hanson Soho Italian restaurant Fiamma (the multi-level one) around 10 years ago.

Trabocchi did not tweak it to reduce the bechamel.  And I think his version had some liver and maybe other offal in it.

It was one of the richest things I've ever eaten.

That's saying a lot.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:02 AM

That's interesting, Sneak. Thanks for the background. Adding liver would seem to make this like candy.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#5 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

Thank you! This sounds fabulous!

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#6 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

Interesting - a pound of wild mushrooms along with the dried porcini. A trick that Marcella taught me many moons ago, and that I still use on occasion today, is that even criminis can substitute for crazily expensive or impossible to find wild mushrooms, if cooked along with a generous amount of high-quality dried porcini.

And Sneak, I remember that restaurant - it's a great building. And I think I ate there on Hanson's dime, some sort of F & F early tasting dinner.