4 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,657 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:57 AM

I'm curious to see how this will go.  Maybe a part of the failure of Mr. Donahue's was that it's elevated-Forties-diner cuisine was just too sophisticated a proffer.  But it seems to me that the main problem was that the space seated so few people that it was never worth going there.  You'd only be turned away.  So it'll be interesting to see how this simplified branch of the owners' fabulously successful Thai place does.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,009 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

My first try wasn't quite the success I had hoped it would be:

39037591712_196344cbc1.jpg

#3 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:35 PM

I've stopped in twice and it's really quite good. The larb is weird, fried chicken nuggets over a spicy cucumber salad, but the individual components are all well done. I do miss the counter seating. It's cramped rather than cozy now, but it makes sense.

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:07 PM

Ligaya Mishan has her wanton, overwrought way with Uncle Boon's Sister.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

Went for an early lunch yesterday around 11:45am and we had the place to ourselves.  Everything was we tried except for the roti with Pumpkin Curry was excellent.  Standouts were the mataba lamb pastry (Exceptional dipping sauces for that) and the Thai sausage.

Would love to have this in the ongoing rotation and might even consider it for takeout whenever we're in the area to bring back all the way to Harlem bit it is a small space with short stools when it's not completely empty. We had the luxury of spreading out and taking over other tables. There is outdoor seating available in normal sized chairs but eating on an NYC sidewalk is never something that has appealed to me in 21 years of living here.