#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:02 PM

No, I've not been, and never will go.

But I thought this review, in GQ, was pretty funny.

A few gems:

The only good news about the $24 Saz-arak, a Sazerac with Arak, is that so little of it is poured, no more than a quarter inch in a cut glass tumbler, the drink is gone before one can be overpowered by the strongly-flavored liquor.

One visits Salt Bae like one kisses the Torah as it passes...

In a world where nebulous social media influencers get paid thousands of dollars for a post, is it really absurd to pay a mere $500 for Salt Bae to slip into our feed? No, it is human. And humans are idiots.

Once, restaurants were famous for their food and chefs were celebrities because they were good at cooking (and maybe good-looking). To restaurants we went to be nourished and amazed by what came out of the kitchen and into our mouths. Maybe we got a glimpse of the famous chef in the kitchen, or passing through the dining room to pay a visit to his regulars. 

#2 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

I have been following this on Eater for awhile, much like you might stare at a highway accident.  They ran about 5 stories about him long before his Manhattan restaurant.  Over the last 2 days Cuozzo and Sietsema have ripped the NY restaurant.  They said terrible things but I'm sure the place is actually worse than the mini reviews.

Billy Idol wants his sneer back.

billyhero2.jpg

Salt-Bae.jpg

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#3 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

The restaurant world gets dumber every day....
Stung by Nettles

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:58 PM

Perfect!

#5 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:19 AM

Perfect!

https://ny.eater.com...s-brooklyn-open

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,564 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:26 AM

That may be the Darwin Principle kicking in.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,564 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:13 AM

For the last ten or so years, I've been going on about the ill effects of the "massification" of food culture.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

W.T.F. I'd heard of this character, but I didn't really think it was a real thing. I can't tell if he's in on the joke or not. I have a vague hope that he sheds his character and laughs his ass off at the absurdity.  But maybe he's really just another self-important douche.  Occam's Razor predicts the latter.

#9 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

That image bears an uncomfortable resemblance to Scarface: now there was no chance in hell of my patronizing this dining establishment, but what about this picture would make anyone want to shell out their bucks to this disagreeable looking character.
That said,there seem to be a lot of people in this country who like being conned these days....
Stung by Nettles

#10 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

I can't believe we are talking about him other than . . . the absurdity, which yes seems fashionable.  I suspect some people might be attracted to the man, no?

"I mispoke."

#11 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

I can't believe they don't serve tap water. Is that even legal?

#12 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

According to a few bar people I've spoken to, if you serve liquor in your establishment, you have to offer tap.

#13 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

I've decided to stop clicking on the articles.  (Yes, it only took me 6 months.  I am weak.)  I'm not clicking on anything about Teen Chef Flynn McGarry either.

Starve the beast.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,868 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:37 AM

Must be. Restaurants here tried to get brownie points by not serving tap water during a water shortage some years ago. I threatened to take a glass to the restroom and fill it up, but I probably didn't.

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,868 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:39 AM

For the last ten or so years, I've been going on about the ill effects of the "massification" of food culture.

I've long believed that proper restaurants should serve only diners over thirty who can complete a basic food knowledge test and who have eaten overseas at least once.