Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:16 AM

Esquire profile: enjoy.

http://www.esquire.c...patagonia-2018/

Wow, that's a wild ride, isn't it? $44,000 to travel for several days and eat the best burnt bread and tomatoes in the history of humanity.

But how much is it the journalist? I was joining in the fun until I saw that he has 4,000 books of poetry at his Uruguayan farm alone.

Nobody who owns 4,000 books of poetry likes poetry. It's ridiculous, even if he reads fluently in several languages. There aren't 4,000 good books of poetry in English. If they exist, they exist to furnish the farm and the myth.

And that was my lens for the rest of the article.

#2 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:25 AM

There are a lot more warning flares than his poetry collection.     Every paragraph provides a "Spare me!" revelation.   

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#3 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,544 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:15 AM

it's unclear how much corroboration there is for the anecdotes in the piece or if it's all myth-making: mallmann appears to be the only source of information on all of the stories that have to do with his reputation. but maybe it's just sloppy journalism.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#4 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:11 AM

Written by the same guy who wrote fawningly about the EMP folks for the Times.

#5 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

If you haven't yet seen it, dig up the Mind of a Chef episode with Mallman in it.  May make you change your mind about him.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#6 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,848 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:51 PM

But then watch the Chef's Table episode and you'll revert right back.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:15 PM

I knew you'd all enjoy it.

It's the kind of article which doesn't really tell you anything about the quality of his skills, food, or restaurants.  Just lets him portray himself, quite unwittingly, as a bit of a dick.

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:23 PM

That first shot, where you see this dude on a small boat with a huge grill welded on to it and this raging fire.. It's absolutely beautiful and pointless and absurd and you are thinking, why the hell would he need a grill that big, attached to a boat that small.. And then you think, why the hell wouldn't you do that.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#9 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:00 PM

I love the cookbook I have from him. The guy does seem like a total dick, OTOH he clearly has a flair for the dramatic, which probably makes the dining experience cool, as a one-off. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,325 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

I went to a talk he gave once, and believe it or not, it was just kinda . . . dull.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:22 PM

Unwitting or not, I think that virtually every one of the chef profiles (of men, anyway) make them out to be dicks. I think there are lots of people (men) in our culture who aspire to be dicks of exactly that sort.

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,325 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:24 PM

And food culture being what it (still) is, I think the writers write in a way that makes chefs out to be dicks no matter what the chef's intent, that being what we the audience are supposed to want chefs to be like.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:02 AM

Unwitting or not, I think that virtually every one of the chef profiles (of men, anyway) make them out to be dicks. I think there are lots of people (men) in our culture who aspire to be dicks of exactly that sort.

Broadly true; isn't it curious that the subjects and writers seem oblivious?

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:05 AM

What drew me in was the intro: fly to Buenos Aires (a schlep), then a drive, a boat, another drive, and you get there.

"A glass of wine?"

No, two very strong, very cold drinks, bring them both now, and then a bottle of wine, and then let's talk about what we're drinking with dinner. Burnt bread and tomatoes, right?

#15 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

I was enamored of him from his first book and liked much of his second. 
Then I saw the show about him (Netflix?) and I started out enthralled and then it felt really dark. 
I recently watched it again and it's pretty dark from the start. 
I do believe him to be a talented dick who is no where as interesting as he thinks. 
But I love that kind of cooking and his food aesthetic. 

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed