27 replies to this topic

#16 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,182 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:54 PM

In other words, just cook and shut the fuck up.

But that can surely be said about many chefs/cooks in this day and age.

#17 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,645 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:12 PM

I don't think there's much to the cooking but the styling is brilliant. Which kind of fits with his poetry collection, right? It reminds me of the culture pages towards the back of a fashion magazine. And yet, those recipes work great for parties, whose success is almost never really about the cooking. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#18 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,956 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:59 AM

Southern hemisphere Veyrat

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#19 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

Hm,   IMHO, Msllmann is a Barnum, offering rich guests a poor peoples' way of life with a pink silk pocket handkerchief at dinner.   

Cooking splayed animals by indirect wood heat?   Maybe he picked that up at a country fete someplace.   We've experienced it in 

France.    Burnt bread and tomatoes?       I wonder if his moneyed guests were still eating Gerbers when we used to call that bruschetta.   The island setting is inspired as well as the trek to get there.   Kind of like the phantom guy who cooks in the PA woods.  

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#20 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:20 AM

Right, once you've bought into it and done the trip, raw Brussels sprouts will be revelatory.

And yes, I mean that as a general point, not just a point about Malmann.

#21 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:59 AM

Kind of like the phantom guy who cooks in the PA woods.  

Are you referring to Jeremiah Langhorne? If so, he's currently in residence at Chef's Club. Supposed to be there for a few months.

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,032 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:46 AM

It's pretty good, too.

But not not worth much more than the fairly reasonable tariff they charge for it.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,182 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:50 AM

We thought it was fine, if a bit expensive. 

If it makes sense, we so much more enjoyed our dinner at The Dabney - I think it's difficult to cook exactly like you do at home - when you're away from home...some dishes fell flat.

#24 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

If there were 200 good poets who wrote 20 books each, you've got 4,000 worth reading. I suppose that's possible, if you read several languages.

If Friday afternoon is slow, we can try naming 200 English language poets worth reading.

#25 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,290 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

i think that's easily done--though some of the names may not be very recognizable outside of narrow circles.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,032 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

If it makes sense, we so much more enjoyed our dinner at The Dabney - I think it's difficult to cook exactly like you do at home - when you're away from home...some dishes fell flat.

I think that's a consistent inherent problem with guest chef gigs.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:28 AM

i think that's easily done--though some of the names may not be very recognizable outside of narrow circles.

But--as I didn't make clear--with substantial oeuvres? 200 who have written at least one or two poems worth reading, sure.

#28 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,290 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:59 AM

But--as I didn't make clear--with substantial oeuvres? 200 who have written at least one or two poems worth reading, sure.

at a very conservative estimate, let's say there are 200 universities and colleges in the u.s who employ one poet each (the actual number would be much higher, as the big places may have 3-5). on average, they will have at least five books each (two needed for tenure, usually, and the established people will have published more than five over their careers). so that's an easy 1000 right there, just from university creative writing profs who very few people have heard of. and yes, almost all of this stuff is worth reading.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson