11 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:13 PM

Did not know the Adey's (Faro) had a Szechuan place up their sleeves.  More noodles, of course.

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:31 PM

But it's ethnic, so they don't make the noodles themselves.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

Oh, it's the Cafe Ghia space.  I failed to notice Cafe Ghia closing.

#4 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:04 AM

Now that my cousin lives in the neighbourhood, there's a fair chance we might end up here one evening.  But how long can a place that sells $15 noodles but seats only 25 stay in business, even in Bushwick?  Somehow, I doubt he's relying on delivery/takeaway orders?

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,559 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

Went last night quoted a two hours wait.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,913 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

This place displays the usual advantages and disadvantages of Asian Cuisine Prepared By Euro-Trained Outside Chefs.

So, on the one hand, notably cleaner technique.  Evidently higher-quality ingredients.

BUT, on the other, food that is usually characterized by a multiplicity of layered flavors instead was kind of one-dimensional.  Each dish had, basically, one, maybe two, tastes.

Not that different from Pok Pok, really.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

Every time I see this thread, I think I've been promoted! :D

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,559 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

This place displays the usual advantages and disadvantages of Asian Cuisine Prepared By Euro-Trained Outside Chefs.

So, on the one hand, notably cleaner technique.  Evidently higher-quality ingredients.

BUT, on the other, food that is usually characterized by a multiplicity of layered flavors instead was kind of one-dimensional.  Each dish had, basically, one, maybe two, tastes.

you should go to Guang Fu, better ingredients, better techniques, better everything. 

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,913 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:29 PM

I'm sure.  It's just that I wasn't around the corner from Guang Fu a couple of nights ago.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

That's exactly the way I felt about the food at Hanoi House.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#11 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:11 PM

That's exactly the way I felt about the food at Hanoi House.

Hanoi House's owners are not Vietnamese but the chef is. I liked the frogs legs and pho well enough, and fwiw I think the cooking is more precise than at Madame Vo nearby.

I agree with Sneak about General Deb's but disagree about Pok Pok. I think Ricker has a better understanding of how to work with Thai flavors than Adey does Sichuan. I can make my own sesame noodles with snow peas at home, thank you (especially when the noodles are from Sun, which sells frozen ramen packs that taste exactly like what I ate here).

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,559 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:37 AM

Anyone been lately? I see they are on caviar