11 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,547 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:03 PM

I tried adding this to the Astoria thread, but that seems to be broken.

We had a terrific lunch there yesterday.  The downside -- I stood in the pouring rain trying to figure out why the parking meeting gizmo wasn't in service until someone passing by pointed out that it was Sunday.  

The stuffed sole was surprisingly good.  Good kebabs (although we should have stuck with another fish.) 

Lots of fun.  The management was even a little accommodating to a 3-foot tall monster running around saying hello to everyone.  I almost had a deal with the nice couple at the next table for them to take the Pebble for a week, but my Wife refused.  

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,319 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:22 PM

I remember a fun dinner outside one summer evening, but it was several years ago.

#3 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:44 AM

You know there’s a 2nd location in the E.Village on 1st Ave around E.12th St, right?

This space available… contact owner.

#4 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,547 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

Yes, but I figured that would be filled with East Village people.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#5 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:45 PM

Yes, but I figured that would be filled with East Village people.

No, they go to Astoria to eat.

#6 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,927 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:46 PM

The east village one is much easier to get a table at usually. I think its mostly fine.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#7 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:36 PM

Seriously, overall Id rather go to the Astoria location. The menu is somewhat larger & the outdoor area is more fun. But, just before we left for Florida we went to the E. Village location with some friends & I thought the food was as good. And the bar area added a nice touch to just hang around before and after. Neither location is more than a decent place to get fresh fish with Greek apps and sides, but thats not a bad option to have.

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,319 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

I never associated the EV one with the Astoria one. Despite the name.

#9 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

Interestingly, the only mention of the EV location on the website is its address at the very bottom of the homepage in teeny type.

We had dinner at the EV spot right after it opened in 2013. It was slammed and we had to wait quite a while for a table. Having never been to the Astoria flagship, I cant compare. While I thought the food was o.k., considering the raves re: Astoria, I expected it to be much better. If they took reservations, I might have considered trying it again.

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,319 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

The Astoria location, in summer at least, has the fun of dining out on the closest thing Queens has to a terrace.  That aspect can't be reproduced on First Avenue.

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:54 PM

Interestingly, the only mention of the EV location on the website is its address at the very bottom of the homepage in teeny type.

We had dinner at the EV spot right after it opened in 2013. It was slammed and we had to wait quite a while for a table. Having never been to the Astoria flagship, I cant compare. While I thought the food was o.k., considering the raves re: Astoria, I expected it to be much better. If they took reservations, I might have considered trying it again.

There's a drop down menu on top (at least in the desktop version of the site) with details on their three locations.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#12 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:20 PM

There's a drop down menu on top (at least in the desktop version of the site) with details on their three locations.

Ah, yes! I see it now. It’s on hand held versions as well. I think I missed it because I was looking at it on my iPad and somehow managed not to have the page scrolled all the way up to the top.