5 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:05 PM

If a recipe calls for a 10 x 14 sheet pan for a swiss roll sponge, can I use a 10 x 15"?  Or will the sponge end up too thin/dry?  

10 x 14" seems hard to come by in the US of A.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,662 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

i've never found that it made a huge difference so long as you are using good parchment paper. call the king arthur flour hotline if you are really worried

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:44 PM

To assuage your angst, picture this:    The difference is a 1" x 10" strip of cake.    Imagine slicing that strip horizontally into 15 layers.   Your 10"x15" cake will be less high than a 10"x14" cake by the depth of one of those 15 layers.    Noticeable?    You kidding me?

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:14 AM

In fact, it might even be a little easier to roll since it will be a little thinner. If the batter filled a 10 x 14 x 1-inch pan to its full depth, it will fill a 10 x 15 to a depth of .933333 inch. As voyager says, hardly noticeable.

Or if you're still really concerned, fold a strip of doubled- or tripled-over foil and insert it in the pan like a dam, to shorten it.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:11 AM

As splinky mentions, parchment.

#6 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

You people live on the edge.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.