4 replies to this topic

#1 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:57 AM

Japanese-y on Bleecker Street just off Bowery. Was there with a large group tonight that included Madhur Jaffrey and her husband Sanford Allen, and Hiroko Shimbo.

We had a huge, very delicious tasting menu at an amazingly reasonable price. Will report more once IACP conference is over.

ETA: It's over, but now I've got to get ready to leave for Peru. I'll try to scan in the menu and post it tomorrow.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:17 AM

Having trouble getting the menu to post. Will try again when I'm back.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#3 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

While it's been a few months since you visited, Suzanne, I'd love to hear more about your dinner here.

From the review I read yesterday it sounds very promising.

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,437 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

I remember a cash-only Italian restaurant in this space; we somewhat liked it until Significant Eater saw a roach (a huge roach, she just reminded me) climbing up the walls, but this does sound good.

And for some reason, I like Feldmans' reviews more than most any of his contemporaries.

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

While it's been a few months since you visited, Suzanne, I'd love to hear more about your dinner here.

From the review I read yesterday it sounds very promising.

Funny you should bring this up. I was just cleaning my desk, and found the menu. I filed it, thinking that no one would notice that I hadn't posted about it. Caught!

SHISO CIGARS

Rolled with Sendai miso, roasted peanuts, walnuts

GOMAAE

Roasted brussels sprouts in a sesame dressing

SMASHED POTATOES

Crispy red bliss potatoes, mentaiko aioli, nori oil

SMOKED SOY FARM EGG

Applewood smoked soy pickled egg, karashi crema

. . .

BLISTERED SHISHITOS AND GREEN BEANS

Tossed in a house made rayu chili oil and served with a lime miso vinaigrette

SALMON CRISPY RICE

Salmon sashimi, ikura, wasabi aioli, dill

TUNE SCALLION

Yellowfin tuna, cucumber, wasabi aioli, nori oil

TSUKUNE MEATBALLS

Japanese-style chicken meatballs with teriyaki glaze, soy cured egg yolks

WAGYU STEAK

Seared wagyu steak served with caper orosni salsa and black garlic sauce

. . .

CHICKEN KARAAGE

Japanese-style fried chicken seasoned with Moroccan spices, shiso tzatziki

I think we were also given Mochi Kisses (listed on the website menu) at the end for dessert; I remember the strawberry dust. And I know I had a cocktail (or 2?) but don't remember which; I just know that I loved it. Others shared bottles of wine, which they enjoyed.

The review mentions some of the stuff we had: the rice balls (iirc, the Tuna Scallion was a similar preparation), wagyu, chicken karaage. The only item we had that's pictured in that review is the smashed potatoes. (I have rarely met a potato I didn't like, but those really are great--crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, delicious dip.) The shiso cigars that started us off were one of my favorites; I adore shiso, and the combination of flavors here complemented the leaves perfectly. The other item that made a strong impression was the meatballs, with the yolks dripping over them like a really rich sauce. My biggest regret--other than being too polite to finish every plate that others could not--was that the fried chicken came out last. I would have happily eaten many portions of it. Up to this time, my only karaage experience was at Dosanko, a larmen (ramen) chain in NYC back in the 1980s; I thought that was good, but this was just so much better, esp. with the condiments.

Everything we had was in discrete pieces, and easy to share. And everything was wonderful. Not a dud in the whole batch.

We were a large group, maybe 20 people? And the room was full for much of our meal. But service was excellent, with servers explaining things as they brought them and being present when needed. There's not really any space to wait, so warm weather might be a better time to visit if you can't get a reservation (they do take reservations for bar seats as well as tables). I'm sure we were given a special price, but even at regular prices, this food would be worth it.

I will have to find a reason to get Paul there. Thanks for making me revisit!