• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:26 PM

Le Rendez-Vous Bistro is a very charming and tiny little BYO French restaurant (10 tables) that recently celebrated their 14th Anniversary. I have never heard of this restaurant before, since I am not familiar with Kenilworth. About a month ago, I noticed a post in Chowhound that was raving about this restaurant, so Mrs. P & I decided to give it a try last night. Chef/owner Philippe Lievre is very sweet and talented. Last night he was working the kitchen all by himself, where he makes almost everything from scratch. Below was the main menu. He also had a special 4 course tasting menu for $60.00, but we ate off of the ala carte menu. 

​We started off with a very flavorful Lobster Bisque soup that contained huge chunks of nicely seasoned crab meat (which I later found out that the chef very generously comped us). We did share a couple of glasses of some nice French red blends with him.

Next we had the Escargot a la Nicoise which was nice & light, and very different than the usual heavy creamy garlicky preparation. The escargot were very tender.

​We also had the Salad Chevre which was very good and filled with big chunks of blue cheese. The goat cheese croustillant had a nice little crust to it.

Unfortunately, the chef sold out of the Rabbit entree on Saturday night. I was really looking forward to it. However, the Pan seared duck breast with the most incredible homemade coq au vin ravioli was a worthy replacement.

Mrs. P had the Plancha, which featured bites of 4 different types of fish, and really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, we were too full for dessert, but they looked amazing, and are all made in house. You can see that Chef Philippe puts a lot of care and love into his cooking. I would highly recommend this restaurant, if you are in the vicinity. It was well worth the 45 minute drive for us. Just make sure to make reservations, especially on Friday or Saturday nights, since it is such a tiny restaurant. Also, the chef will be closed from around the last week in March to mid April. He will vacationing in Colombia (where his wife is from). 

#2 rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

paryzer, Glad you discovered and enjoyed Le Rendez-vous.  We first began going there right after it opened many years.  Its first owners were the brothers Waleed and Sammi.  If memory serves, they were Moroccan.  Sammi was the chef and Waleed ran the foh along with their wives.  We liked it so much the first time, we began dining there regularly.  At some point, Waleed left while Sammi continued to cook until he eventually sold the restaurant to Philippe Lievre.  We did eat there after he took over, but the fact that I have no photos of the last time we were there means it would have been before 2009 since that's when I began taking restaurant photos and putting them on Flickr. 

Before you posted your report, I'd actually been thinking about going again.  They used to have a website but shut it down several yeas ago.  On their Facebook page, they only list the $60 tasting menu.  So, thanks for posting the current a la carte menu.  The dates of the vacation closure -- March 25 - April 12 -- are on Facebook, but to find them, you have to click "See more" on the tasting menu.  Also noted there is that this weekend, they are serving a "Second Fusion Colombian Tasting Menu.  Details to be announced."