11 replies to this topic

#1 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

I need a dish to take to a country potluck. Delicious but not showy. Moderate amount of meat ok. Not looking to upstage anyone. But would still like something interesting.

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,394 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

Go old school ambrosia. With like coconut, sour cream, mandarin oranges and tiny marshmallows.

Or I like tortilla pie. Chicken tortilla pie

I also really like the curry chicken from

And obviously, grain bowls are all the rage. Quinoa salad and the like.

I dump a can or two of tuna into a few cans of beans, added olive oil, lemon, parsley, tomatoes, red onions and nuts for miss K as she is eating tons of protein right now. Thats easy and good
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#3 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

Thanks. I particularly like the tortilla pie idea.

If I were going for over-the-top, I'd do a pot of shredded Mississippi Roast with a bowl of chopped onion and cilantro, bag of street taco size tortillas, bottle of Salsa Valentina and call it good.

#4 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:12 PM

Flan tart,the French way...we don’t see enough of these anymore.
Stung by Nettles

#5 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

Oh yes! I bought a slab at a country fete outside Paris several years ago. Suave and not too sweet. There were half dozen to choose from, all homemade.

#6 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,324 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:24 PM

Similar to Daniel's suggestions, I like doing oil-packed tuna with beans, radicchio, and vinaigrette. A "bowl" with wheat berries, mushrooms, and caramelized onions can be nice as well.

Future Legacy Participant.

#7 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:52 PM

I'd do a strata. I made one for a potluck recently, and if it had been a contest, I would have won. Very simple, but delicious, and not so bad at room temperature (though better hot, or at least warm).

#8 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

Flan tart,the French way...we don’t see enough of these anymore.

All your fault

26924975028_22d31ef3ba_z.jpg

Of course, potluck is a couple of weeks away...    :blush:

#9 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:12 AM

:blush: Flan tart,the French way...we don’t see enough of these anymore.

All your fault

26924975028_22d31ef3ba_z.jpg

Of course, potluck is a couple of weeks away...    :blush:

well, glad to inspire you...add some prunes in armagnac and you're gonna be happy...

Stung by Nettles

#10 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:13 AM

So the big do took place last night.    A get-together of country neighbors within a five mile radius, some old acquaintances, most new to us.   I finally settled on an old work-horse from A Diet for a Small Planet, Con Queso Rice: brown rice, black beans, green chilies, onion, garlic layered with ricotta, Jack and Cheddar cheeses, baked until oozy.     Well received; noticed quite a few second helpings.    

41462148621_e216f8f699_z.jpg

A very nice evening with surprisingly well crafted and delicious offerings, pastas, casseroles, salads.   No desserts.    Maybe I'll go that way next time...and maybe everyone else will go sweet also.   That's why they call it "potluck".

#11 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:20 PM

A very nice evening with surprisingly well crafted and delicious offerings, pastas, casseroles, salads.   No desserts.    Maybe I'll go that way next time...and maybe everyone else will go sweet also.   That's why they call it "potluck".

I have a feeling, since the first one (pot luck) I ever went to was in Norther California, that there's another reason for said name.

And: Diet for a Small Planet?!@!!  Oy. Did anyone else bring alfalfa sprouts and mashed yeast?

#12 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

:lol:     You got both those right.    Our county voted pot cultivation and sales legal a couple of years ago, then recently voted it illegal.   In the meantime, mucho dinero was invested in "gardening" as it is called.   Now gardeners are suing the county for damages, et al.

And re DfaSP, I remember my father visiting shortly after it came out.   After skimming through my copy, he turned scarlet and sputtered, "Do you know what this is espousing?    Do you realize it is promoting vegetarianism?"    You'd have thought he was talking about cannibalism.    Actually the dish I made is one of its lush recipes, about as far from sprouts as you can get.    Probably more calories (and maybe as much protein) in a serving than in a half-pounder cheeseburger.   

It was an interesting group.   Gordon Branch, noted guitar maker, sat at our table.    Cool and funny guy.     http://www.branchgui....com/about.html     

And crazy winemaker Randy Nathan and his quite reasonable wife..   http://www.calaveras...afd81da5ea.html

Also the head of a private fire-fighting company who described an upcoming encampment of firefighter enlistees.   These are all recent veterans from Afghanistan and Iraq, all trying to resume civilian life and all fighting demons.   This company gives them a structured environment, purpose, training, sprit de corps, support for personal success.   They will be bivouacked in the town (old school) ball diamond, and their services made available free to the community: brush clearing, tree felling, wood chipping, debris burning.