27 replies to this topic

#16 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:39 PM

The Gage at 24 South Michigan for steak + drinks?

I'll try malort before I try the casseroles of Chicago pizza.

The Gage is a couple of minutes from the hotel too, so I have that in reserve.

#17 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:25 AM

There was a French place next door to The Gage that we used to like, but seems no longer to be there. We liked the Gage too but its one of those loud American places.

My husband likes to get back to Q (bbq) when hes in town. Im more excited about the Bayless places (miss good Mexican in general.)
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#18 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:43 PM

I was in Chicago back in April (my first trip there ever) and enjoyed the Little Goat for breakfast, Duck Duck Goat, and enjoyed Fat Rice.   A side trip to Calumet Fisheries was also fun.  

"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#19 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:09 AM

Girl/Goat is 5 minutes walk from The Blackbird, and the latter' owner's daughter is a friend of my daughter. I was encouraged to go, but the conversation would be: "Hi, is the owner here tonight? No? Well let him know I was here because my daughter knows one of his daughters. That's why I chose this restaurant."

Not really.

#20 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:20 AM

I got the last order of goat neck. The gastronomic god(s) is/are smiling.

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:21 AM

Did you get the girl neck?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,419 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

I was just in Chicago, didn't get to have dinner or send a case of Mallort to myself as I was too busy.. My meals consisted of eating cheese in the Hyatt Club lounge one night and a cup of soup I had in my  briefcase from China the other night..   I had lunch one time too, it was kosher chinese food that was catered.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#23 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:47 AM

Doing better than you this time around I guess. No girl neck, but that Goat empire is extensive. Little Goat not so little.

There was a tendency to dump too much stuff--pickled, salty, rich stuff--over good ingredients. Snail ravioli winning battle against super-seasoned broth; goat neck holding its own against a shower of crunchy slaw-type stuff. But good enough.

My server pushed half-size portions of salad and pasta as I was solo (I was going to order an extra course anyway). So with half-order of ravioli, goat mousse, entree-priced goat neck, comped dessert--but also (real) champagne and a couple of glasses of red, $110 before tax and tip was good.

Restaurant slammed on a Tuesday.

#24 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:49 AM

As I write I am on my way to Berghoff for history and meat.

I went there for a business dinner. 1997 or 1998 (must be mentioned at Pink Pig if that's true). I remember specific parts of the conversation, but nothing else.

#25 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:49 AM

Not as good as the Ukrainian on 2nd Ave, but filling.

The gestures at the 20th century were unexpected. A ceviche here, a designer burger there.

I ate wursts and sauerbraten. Place is huge.

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:25 AM

My mother-in-law used to take me to Berghoff all the time cuz she knew how much I liked it. There were no nods to modernity back then.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:25 PM

Sampler app of half a knockwurst on a bun with sauerkraut, half a bratwurst, same, potato salad with smoked ham.

Then sauerbraten (too sweet) with a mound of buttermilk mash.

This is what I needed at this point in the trip.

I did enjoy re-visiting. A good meal, an appropriate meal, a couple of hours in the Art Institute, a real long walk at night, a couple of modern bars and a couple of old dives. And it didn't rain.

#28 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:12 PM

Any good suggestions in the river north/near north side area that take reservations (or at least no wait on a sunday night) besides purple pig? Fancy/expensive is fine but can't be a pay-ahead or 3 hour meal. Kiddos will be with a sitter so there's always a chance we need to cancel or rush back to the hotel.