5 replies to this topic

#1 joechartreuse

joechartreuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

I rarely see anything mentioned regarding restaurants in my local area.   Anyone been to all of the restaurants on Passaic Street in Rochelle Park?  How about those on Moonachie Ave and Washington Ave in Moonachie/ Little Ferry?  How about Harrington Park ( Dino's)?   River Vale ( Zozo's?)   Westwood  (BiBi'z)?   The Turkish place on Kinderkamack in Emerson?  Fox And Hound in Northvale?

Too many of the same names repeated over and over.   

Hope you'll pardon me, but I love where I live and the restaurants within it- which seem to go unmentioned more often than not.  Is it  a "gourmet" thing?  There is a world of people who enjoy great food without pretentious-ness  ( the only way one can make a "de-constructed" salad is to make a full salad, THEN separate it's components.   In truth, what is being discussed is a "veggie platter".)

OK, rant over....

Karaoke and food- almost heaven

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

I suspect its more that no one lives/eats around there.  But I've been looking at houses in Palisades NY - so I might be joining you soon? Depends on what I determine about the commute. Really like the town.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#3 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

Palisades is very pretty, Rockland coaches busses are not. But they are functional enough.

Recent good meals for me - grk grill in cresskill (menu looks pricey but portions are huge), king falafel on 46 in elmwood park (our Israeli friends insisted it's the best, I think they are right).

#4 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:59 PM

I rarely see anything mentioned regarding restaurants in my local area.   Anyone been to all of the restaurants on Passaic Street in Rochelle Park?  How about those on Moonachie Ave and Washington Ave in Moonachie/ Little Ferry?  How about Harrington Park ( Dino's)?   River Vale ( Zozo's?)   Westwood  (BiBi'z)?   The Turkish place on Kinderkamack in Emerson?  Fox And Hound in Northvale?

Too many of the same names repeated over and over.   

Hope you'll pardon me, but I love where I live and the restaurants within it- which seem to go unmentioned more often than not.  Is it  a "gourmet" thing?  There is a world of people who enjoy great food without pretentious-ness  ( the only way one can make a "de-constructed" salad is to make a full salad, THEN separate it's components.   In truth, what is being discussed is a "veggie platter".)

OK, rant over....

I haven't been to Moonachie/Little Ferry in a long time. Passaic Street/RP is around the corner from my office -- what's good there you like? I am in Westwood fairly often, and I just had dinner at Jack's (I love the place). I've been wanting to get back to Granita Grill and Baci, but haven't made it. I haven't heard anything about the Turkish place on K'mack in Emerson...but I did hit Taste of Green a while ago...very good as always.

I can't say I've ever had the desire to go to Zozo's, and I will never go to BiBi'z. But there's plenty of nice places around there. Where else do you recommend?

#5 joechartreuse

joechartreuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

E.L.A, why wouldn't you want to at least try Bibi'Z or Zozo's?   You would "never go to Bibi'Z" implies some sort of problem not related to it's quality.  Please understand that I am not endorsing or knocking these places, but wonder why no one has mentioned them.

Cinar is the Turkish lace now at the location of was last known as Ranchero Cantina, and originally Casa Hofbrau  ( where I once tended bar with my friend Roy)..

Again, these places mentioned are not necessarily recommendations, but rather just places that have been skipped as so many others have here.   If I see one more post regarding places like Blu in Montclair I swear I'll snap....   Same places post after post.  They're fine. but no need to pray to them...

There are SO many local places that seem to be completely ignored... How about Valley Stables Restaurant  in Oakland.  Heck, if you HAVE to ignore my area for whatever reason, try heading west.   Casa Riviera in Branchville is fairly non-descript on the outside, but eclectically decorated, terrific service, and may well be the best "unknown" Mexican Restaurant in the whole state  ( Yup, that IS a recommendation).  

How is The Farmhouse in Cresskill? Locale in Closter?    Sear in Closter?  Anyone know who is moving in to the old Parmesano's/ Bensi/ Old Tappan Grill  location?

In other words, this forum has been pretty much ignoring about 20% of the state and concentrating on Manhatten wannabes elsewhere.

#6 joechartreuse

joechartreuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted Today, 12:24 AM

Oops.  Forgot to add La Taberna in Dumont, which is getting raves.   I can only comment on the crab cakes, which were amazing.  As someone with decades of of experience behind the bar  ( some years ago), I would add that this is the first place in ages that I have visited with a well trained bartender.  REAL bartenders are actually "cocktail chefs"  ( I like that better than "mixologist"  because a mixologist may make a perfect coctail every time, but not CREATE them with proper flavor and balance). 

This bartender had PROPER and extensive training, not 2 weeks in some program, which is what I run into most often.  That's if they have any training at all.

To those who say they don't come to this area,   I figure if you can make it to Fink's, you can make it across the street to La Taberna.

....And no, I do not have any connection to this place either...