38 replies to this topic

#1 joechartreuse

joechartreuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

I rarely see anything mentioned regarding restaurants in my local area.   Anyone been to all of the restaurants on Passaic Street in Rochelle Park?  How about those on Moonachie Ave and Washington Ave in Moonachie/ Little Ferry?  How about Harrington Park ( Dino's)?   River Vale ( Zozo's?)   Westwood  (BiBi'z)?   The Turkish place on Kinderkamack in Emerson?  Fox And Hound in Northvale?

Too many of the same names repeated over and over.   

Hope you'll pardon me, but I love where I live and the restaurants within it- which seem to go unmentioned more often than not.  Is it  a "gourmet" thing?  There is a world of people who enjoy great food without pretentious-ness  ( the only way one can make a "de-constructed" salad is to make a full salad, THEN separate it's components.   In truth, what is being discussed is a "veggie platter".)

OK, rant over....

Karaoke and food- almost heaven

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,801 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

I suspect its more that no one lives/eats around there.  But I've been looking at houses in Palisades NY - so I might be joining you soon? Depends on what I determine about the commute. Really like the town.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#3 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

Palisades is very pretty, Rockland coaches busses are not. But they are functional enough.

Recent good meals for me - grk grill in cresskill (menu looks pricey but portions are huge), king falafel on 46 in elmwood park (our Israeli friends insisted it's the best, I think they are right).

#4 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:59 PM

I rarely see anything mentioned regarding restaurants in my local area.   Anyone been to all of the restaurants on Passaic Street in Rochelle Park?  How about those on Moonachie Ave and Washington Ave in Moonachie/ Little Ferry?  How about Harrington Park ( Dino's)?   River Vale ( Zozo's?)   Westwood  (BiBi'z)?   The Turkish place on Kinderkamack in Emerson?  Fox And Hound in Northvale?

Too many of the same names repeated over and over.   

Hope you'll pardon me, but I love where I live and the restaurants within it- which seem to go unmentioned more often than not.  Is it  a "gourmet" thing?  There is a world of people who enjoy great food without pretentious-ness  ( the only way one can make a "de-constructed" salad is to make a full salad, THEN separate it's components.   In truth, what is being discussed is a "veggie platter".)

OK, rant over....

I haven't been to Moonachie/Little Ferry in a long time. Passaic Street/RP is around the corner from my office -- what's good there you like? I am in Westwood fairly often, and I just had dinner at Jack's (I love the place). I've been wanting to get back to Granita Grill and Baci, but haven't made it. I haven't heard anything about the Turkish place on K'mack in Emerson...but I did hit Taste of Green a while ago...very good as always.

I can't say I've ever had the desire to go to Zozo's, and I will never go to BiBi'z. But there's plenty of nice places around there. Where else do you recommend?

#5 joechartreuse

joechartreuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

E.L.A, why wouldn't you want to at least try Bibi'Z or Zozo's?   You would "never go to Bibi'Z" implies some sort of problem not related to it's quality.  Please understand that I am not endorsing or knocking these places, but wonder why no one has mentioned them.

Cinar is the Turkish place now at the location of was last known as Ranchero Cantina, and originally Casa Hofbrau  ( where I once tended bar with my friend Roy)..

Again, these places mentioned are not necessarily recommendations, but rather just places that have been skipped as so many others have here.   If I see one more post regarding places like Blu in Montclair I swear I'll snap....   Same places post after post.  They're fine. but no need to pray to them...

There are SO many local places that seem to be completely ignored... How about Valley Stables Restaurant  in Oakland.  Heck, if you HAVE to ignore my area for whatever reason, try heading west.   Casa Riviera in Branchville is fairly non-descript on the outside, but eclectically decorated, terrific service, and may well be the best "unknown" Mexican Restaurant in the whole state  ( Yup, that IS a recommendation).  

How is The Farmhouse in Cresskill? Locale in Closter?    Sear in Closter?  Anyone know who is moving in to the old Parmesano's/ Bensi/ Old Tappan Grill  location?

In other words, this forum has been pretty much ignoring about 20% of the state and concentrating on Manhatten wannabes elsewhere.

#6 joechartreuse

joechartreuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:24 AM

Oops.  Forgot to add La Taberna in Dumont, which is getting raves.   I can only comment on the crab cakes, which were amazing.  As someone with decades of of experience behind the bar  ( some years ago), I would add that this is the first place in ages that I have visited with a well trained bartender.  REAL bartenders are actually "cocktail chefs"  ( I like that better than "mixologist"  because a mixologist may make a perfect coctail every time, but not CREATE them with proper flavor and balance). 

This bartender had PROPER and extensive training, not 2 weeks in some program, which is what I run into most often.  That's if they have any training at all.

To those who say they don't come to this area,   I figure if you can make it to Fink's, you can make it across the street to La Taberna.

....And no, I do not have any connection to this place either...

#7 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:31 AM

Below are some upcoming openings, according to Boozy Burbs, in the Bergen County area.

Let’s Meat Steak House, a steakhouse and “local Italian eatery”, are coming to Harrington Park.

According to details we’ve been able to scrape together so far, there will be a VIP membership limited to only 50 people. You will “own” your table for up to 4 reservations per month and the BYOB restaurant will offer wine & cigar lockers, outdoor cigar lounge, and a multitude of VIP “events” like pairings, brunch and more. VIP members will also receive free Uber pickup and drop off (3 mile radius).

Menu items include dry aged steaks, meatballs, burgers, grilled octopus, pizza and more. An opening date is projected sometime in May.

Let’s Meat Steak House
90 La Roche Avenue
Harrington Park, NJ

DVine Pie, a pizza offshoot of DVine Bar (and Grape D’Vine) in Sparkill, is coming to Piermont.

The pizzeria will serve the same style of pizza that’s being crafted over at DVine Bar, in fact they’ve removed pizzas from their menu – so you’ll have to head over to DVine Pie once they open. Executive Chef (and Chopped Champion) Chris Holland will be overseeing the kitchen as well – along with existing DVine Bar kitchen staff.

No word yet on an opening date.

DVine Pie

Piermont, NY

After more than a year since the original news broke, brewery and bbq restaurant Gentle Giant Brewing, is in fact open for business (soft open) in Pearl River.

Now while the menu (View Menu) is changing daily and they’ve only been operating on weekends, expect items like chicken wings, St. Louis style ribs and pulled pork – all cooked slow and low using wood in their Lang smokers. Plus homemade sides like coleslaw, “smoked bacon” mac n cheese and more.

Beer has not launched yet during the soft opening, though expect it in two to three weeks. And the best bet to find out what’s cooking (literally), is to visit their social media (FacebookInstagram) to learn more.

Gentle Giant Brewing

7 North Main Street
Pearl River, NY

http://gentlegiantbrewing.com/

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#8 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

Have heard good things from friends in town about dvine.

#9 joechartreuse

joechartreuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:16 AM

Sorry to hear about the "Let's Meat" thing- another Manhatten wannabe.  I grew up at 142 LaRoche Ave.  Looks like it's taking over the tiny Cuban place- another BYOB.  Good luck with that and the "exclusivity".

#10 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:42 PM

Boozy Burbs reports that Kumade has opened in Palisades Park, NJ.

Kumade, a new Japanese restaurant, has opened in Palisades Park.

Aiming to give New Jersey an “upgraded” experience, ownership is bringing over 20 years operating Korean BBQ and sushi restaurants in Los Angeles. Their main chef has honed their craft working many years throughout Asia.

The menu (View PDF Menu) specializes in Japanese Izakaya – casual food meant to be eaten with booze – including skewers, sushi, soups, tempura, grilled items and more. All the food is made with using “traditional recipes”, items like soup bases are stewed for over 10 hours crafted with pork bones.

The 140 seat restaurant is open seven days till 3:00am for late night drinking and offers lunch and dinner service.

Kumade
412 Bergen Blvd
Palisades Park, NJ

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,840 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:46 AM

It bothers me that anyone would suggest that New Jersey needs an "upgraded" experience.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

Sorry to hear about the "Let's Meat" thing- another Manhatten wannabe.  I grew up at 142 LaRoche Ave.  Looks like it's taking over the tiny Cuban place- another BYOB.  Good luck with that and the "exclusivity".

More details on Let's Meat from Boozy Burbs:

Let’s Meat Steakhouse, the upcoming Italian restaurant and steakhouse coming to Harrington Park, is coming a little clearly after a discussion with co-owner Bob Hay.

While he confirmed there will be memberships that will give subscribers a “VIP dining experience” and guaranteed reservations, there will still be availability for those who are not members to dine at Let’s Meat. He did note that members will get access up to four time s month for those reservations, invites to events and tastings, possible Uber pickups to and from the restaurant and more.

His partner is former Presto’s pizzeria owner John Centrella (they’re in the same space as the old Presto’s) and they will be offering pizza from their brick oven (gas), prime cuts of meat that will be dry-aged, Italian dishes, a burger (10oz with a custom blend) and more from chef Francesca.

Also:

Meyhane, a new tapas and Mediterranean restaurant, has opened in Cliffside Park.

With a menu that focuses on Mediterranean cuisine and in particular a large selection of hot and cold mezza (apps or tapas), there are also a few entrees as well along with soup, salads and homemade desserts.

The restaurant is open seven days a week till 1:00am.

Meyhane

671 Palisade Avenue
Cliffside Park, NJ

#13 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

Is La Taberna the same owners as Sayola in Tenafly? For some reason their website re-directs to Sayola. We eat at Sayola frequently. I have no insight into the bartenders but the food is generally very good. Also convenient that Tapas portions in NJ are about 2x as big as in NYC,

#14 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:51 AM

Why, why?! Do people post about restaurants in NY state in the NJ thread?
I live in convent Station. Theres a ton of places doing interesting things and new openings and the entire county is blatantly ignored by the author of table hopping. Its embarrasingly ridiculous. The targeted audience doesnt care about Cape May; its a 3 plus hour drive for the bulk of the population in NJ. Ive never been to Cape May and Im 38 years old, born and raised here.

Why not mention South and Pines new sister restaurant, Central and Main in Madison? My favorites in my area are long standing establishments Rods, The Grand Cafe, Is Mondo Vecchio

#15 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:13 PM

Why, why?! Do people post about restaurants in NY state in the NJ thread?
I live in convent Station. Theres a ton of places doing interesting things and new openings and the entire county is blatantly ignored by the author of table hopping. Its embarrasingly ridiculous. The targeted audience doesnt care about Cape May; its a 3 plus hour drive for the bulk of the population in NJ. Ive never been to Cape May and Im 38 years old, born and raised here.

Why not mention South and Pines new sister restaurant, Central and Main in Madison? My favorites in my area are long standing establishments Rods, The Grand Cafe, Is Mondo Vecchio

Meredith, if you are talking about me in your first sentence, I only mentioned a couple of restaurants from Boozy Burbs in Piermont & Pearl River, NY, because there are some members that live further up in North Jersey, & these areas are near the NJ border. I have also seen other members post about restaurants in Piermont in the NJ thread, so I thought they might be of interest.

I completely agree about the new author of table hopping (Andrea Clurfeld). It seems like she only writes about Central & South Jersey restaurants, and totally ignores North Jersey. I miss Rosie, who used to write more about restaurants in my area. NJ.com is another site that blatantly only reviews restaurants in either Hamilton or Princeton.

I'm sorry, but I'm not as familiar about restaurants in your area, so I can't write about them. I can only write about what I know. I'm sure there are a lot of fine restaurants in your area. We would love to hear detailed write ups about them. I used to enjoy Resto & Rob's Bistro when they were in Madison. Rob Ubhaus was a very talented chef. It seems like he is working for D'artagnan now.