25 replies to this topic

#16 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:08 PM

Clurfeld was for many years the restaurant critic for the Asbury Park Park. I suspect that may account for her Central and South NJ bias. I never liked her as a reviewer and havent read any of her reviews since she replaced Rosie (though to be honest, I read Rosies reviews only occasionally). In any case, since she is now writing for a statewide publication, theres no excuse for her not to be reviewing restaurants all over the state.

I am surprised about your comment regarding the NJ.com reviews because it is the website of the Star-Ledger which has always been considered a North Jersey paper.

#17 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:23 PM

I am surprised about your comment regarding the NJ.com reviews because it is the website of the Star-Ledger which has always been considered a North Jersey paper.

I agree, but If you go to their restaurant review site at http://www.nj.com/di...ncart_highlight , the restaurants reviewed for the last 2 months were Villa Maria in Hamilton, Fat Jack's BBQ in Vineland, Fame Dish in Ewing, Tacoria in Princeton, Classico Tomato Pies in West Windsor, Broadmoor in Lambertville, and Padrinos in Hamilton. There is not one restaurant reviewed from North Jersey.

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#18 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,637 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

When I was moderating, I agonized over whether to leave Piermont posts on the Jersey board.

But when you think about it, it's more part of the Northern Jersey orbit than the New York orbit, no matter the side of the border it happens to be on.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#19 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:33 PM

NJ monthly also ignores Morris County as well.

#20 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:36 PM

When I was moderating, I agonized over whether to leave Piermont posts on the Jersey board.

But when you think about it, it's more part of the Northern Jersey orbit than the New York orbit, no matter the side of the border it happens to be on.

I disagree. Ive never been to any restaurants mentioned here in NY state its not even on my radar. Manhattan is closer and more accessible to me than NY state. Should people who live in Western NJ start posting here about restaurants in Easton or Bethlehem PA?

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,637 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:19 PM

This isn't an issue that I have anything to say about anymore (I'm happy to say).  But my logic was that people who live in Northeastern New Jersey easily and frequently drive to Piermont.  When I (very infrequently) go there, I have to take a bus ride that lasts well more than an hour.

It's telling that posts about Piermont rarely if ever are made on the New York board, but fairly frequently are made on the New Jersey board.

But as I said, this happily isn't my issue any more.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

Honestly I dont even know where Piedmont is or why people would leave the state unless they live directly on the boarder to go there. So Im admittedly ignorant.

#23 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

Look at a map, find Bergen county, look at the area north of 80 and east of 17. I live 20 minutes from piermont and 40 minutes (if no traffic...glwt) from the epicenter of nj dining (Montclair, as far as I can tell). For the most part the NJ board is (I think) for the benefit of people who live in NJ. For many of those people restaurants just over the border in NY are in their backyard, and of zero interest to people who read the NY(really just NYC) board.

#24 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

Drive time to disparate locations is confounding.    During heavy traffic, I can drive from my NW SF house to Mill Valley (Marin County)  faster than I can drive to Dog Patch (SF).    And frequently use the Golden Gate Bridge (north) to go to destinations in East Bay..   Traffic through SF is literally at a standstill close to 24/7.    

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#25 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

Look at a map, find Bergen county, look at the area north of 80 and east of 17. I live 20 minutes from piermont and 40 minutes (if no traffic...glwt) from the epicenter of nj dining (Montclair, as far as I can tell). For the most part the NJ board is (I think) for the benefit of people who live in NJ. For many of those people restaurants just over the border in NY are in their backyard, and of zero interest to people who read the NY(really just NYC) board.

Fair enough! It seems to benefit some people and thats pretty much the purpose here.

#26 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:50 PM

Why not mention South and Pines new sister restaurant, Central and Main in Madison? My favorites in my area are long standing establishments Rods, The Grand Cafe, Is Mondo Vecchio

Meredith, have you tried Central & Main? Is this in the old Redux location? I never made it out to Redux, but I really liked Resto, and to some extent Rob's Bistro, by the same Chef (Rob Ubhaus). The menu looks interesting, & I see the chef used to work for Bobby Flay. I also see that it is a BYO, which I like. I'm thinking of trying it out in the next month or two. If you have been there, what would you recommend?

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer