4 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

Jesse Malin, who singlehandedly is trying to keep the old East Village music spirit alive, is opening a new club, in the space that once housed Brownies.

The 169 Avenue A space previously home to HiFi Bar, and Brownies before that, is not becoming a bank or a chain store – it’s going to be a new 200-capacity venue called Coney Island Baby! You may recognize the name as a Lou Reed album, and the venue is from the folks who run Bowery Electric, Niagara and Velvet Elk Records. The common denominator there is D Generation’s Jesse Malin, who owns or co-owns Niagara, Bowery Electric and Berlin, and also used to own St. Marks venue Coney Island High. He’s also involved in Velvet Elk, which was founded by his frequent collaborator Don DiLego.                                                                                                                                                                                             Coney Island Baby has announced its Grand Opening party on May 2 with Alejandro EscovedoDon DiLego & The Touristas, and The Tall Pines. You can get free tickets with code “GRANDOPENING169.”

Brooklyn Vegan

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 83,685 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:17 AM

Okay, cool that Jesse is doing this, but anyone remember Coney Island High? Two level music space nearby. I think I have the name right.

#3 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:26 AM

Okay, cool that Jesse is doing this, but anyone remember Coney Island High? Two level music space nearby. I think I have the name right.

Sure. I used to go to The Green Door on the regular and dance to the music I was too self-conscious to dance to in high school.

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:32 AM

Sure. I used to go to The Green Door on the regular and dance to the music I was too self-conscious to dance to in high school.

Of course - that was Jesse's place towards the end as well.

I wish I could remember the bands I saw there.

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 83,685 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:52 PM

The Dictators. The Fleshtones. No surprises, right? Seven Dust (mistake, I was on the wrong floor). The Priss-Teens, what a great band.