25 replies to this topic

#1 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

"[I]n Canada recently, Guillaume Rey, a waiter at Milestones Bar + Grill in Vancouver, British Columbia, filed a complaint against the restaurant’s parent company, Cara Operations, after he was fired for being combative, aggressive and something of a bully. His defense? He’s not rude, he contends. Instead, he’s French and his former bosses are discriminating against his culture and heritage."

-- The New York Times, March 28, 2018

article here

Discuss. With or without having read the article and/or any related material. ;)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#2 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,874 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

IMHO, there is a pox of cultural misunderstanding and misconception on all parties, not least the author of the article.    French service is not rude but it is different.    The customer is not always right in French transactions.    I can't really think of any truly rude waiter in many years of visiting France.    There is protocol, and a resulting predictable ballet.   By the end of the meal, there is a positive relationship of respect and pleasure..   

What I find intolerable is the twit in Anglo super hot restaurants with a  "You are SO lucky to be here" attitude.    Let me be the one to decide that.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:39 PM

I served everything at the same time because I'm filipino. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,874 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

Different cultural misunderstanding but same principle.     :P

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,486 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:20 PM

I smile and I secretly hate you.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#6 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,874 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:52 PM

As a diner or a restaurant owner?    It's my stance that running a restaurant is a calling, something that you feel you have to do, not a business you start from a strictly economic point of view.   It's like being a writer; you do it because you have something to say.   And you should say it your way,   If there is a reading or dining public out there large enough to support your efforts, great.  But if you subvert your style of food or service to something unrecognizable from your plan, you;ve just bought yourself a job and a difficult one at that.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,486 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:09 PM

I am just kidding.. i don't secretly hate anyone to tell you the truth.. We are pretty upfront with our  customers and we are pretty friendly and service oriented.. I care about the food and I care about the service, that is all.. I love to serve people and I love to feed people.. Really, if you know my history, we started a restaurant in our house because we were inviting random people over to cook for them.. At one point, as we were cooking for some random waitress and her boyfriend we met, who we had nothing in common with or nothing to talk about,  we were like, what the hell are we doing?  I think we are addicted to cooking for people.. 

But yeh, it's like a lot of tedious things, it's either something you love or it's a fucking nightmare.. Like for Miss K, the artist,  she can sit in a room for 12 hours with a pencil and a piece of paper.. I have watched her make over 300 drawings of the same exact freaking thing..  I would be climbing up the walls.. She could not be happier. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#8 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:51 PM

French service is not rude but it is different.   

Person in question was not fired for being rude to customers. Person in question was fired for being an asshole to his co-workers. Whether that's typically "French" or not, I cannot say, having never worked in France. But I don't like working with assholes, so I'll play on Team Cara Operations.

#9 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:10 AM

Reading the court document it seems like he was very good at his job but with little patience for those who weren't, as a result of his cultural background, and they in turn used the company policy against him, or at least the court isn't ruling that out as an option.

I don't see that as him being an asshole.

#10 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:45 AM

I'm basing my assessment on this (from the Washington Post):

Rey was ultimately fired after a confrontation on Aug. 14. Rey, who was shift leader that day, asked one of the servers to complete a task for him. This is where the two sides’ stories diverge. Instead of doing so, the server complained about Rey to the manager, according to Rey’s complaint. Rey believed the server’s refusal to complete the task was disrespectful and inconsiderate to the other servers. He went to the manager’s office, knocked on the door, and — when the manager opened the door — found the server inside. The server “aggressively” told Rey he was not going to do anything else for Rey that evening, according to Rey’s complaint.

But according to emails submitted to the tribunal board by the manager, Rey had been “aggressively” checking on whether the server was doing the assigned task. The server came into the manager’s office, near tears, and said he refused to work with Rey any longer. Then Rey came to the office and started “pushing his way in and talking over her and demanding that the server complete his duties,” Cousineau wrote, citing the manager’s emails. “Mr. Rey came in and started ‘berating and yelling at me for not checking out with him and that he did not sign me out.’ He continued to ‘speak loudly and rudely’ until the manager asked him to leave,” Cousineau wrote, citing the server’s written account of the incident. Rey was fired after the incident, in part because he was “aggressive, rude and disrespectful” to the manager and server, according to the complaint. During his firing, Rey told the general manager that he believed he was being terminated because of his French culture.

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,319 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:52 AM

Would never attract attention in Quebec.

#12 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

I'm basing my assessment on this (from the Washington Post):

Rey was ultimately fired after a confrontation on Aug. 14. Rey, who was shift leader that day, asked one of the servers to complete a task for him. This is where the two sides’ stories diverge. Instead of doing so, the server complained about Rey to the manager, according to Rey’s complaint. Rey believed the server’s refusal to complete the task was disrespectful and inconsiderate to the other servers. He went to the manager’s office, knocked on the door, and — when the manager opened the door — found the server inside. The server “aggressively” told Rey he was not going to do anything else for Rey that evening, according to Rey’s complaint.

But according to emails submitted to the tribunal board by the manager, Rey had been “aggressively” checking on whether the server was doing the assigned task. The server came into the manager’s office, near tears, and said he refused to work with Rey any longer. Then Rey came to the office and started “pushing his way in and talking over her and demanding that the server complete his duties,” Cousineau wrote, citing the manager’s emails. “Mr. Rey came in and started ‘berating and yelling at me for not checking out with him and that he did not sign me out.’ He continued to ‘speak loudly and rudely’ until the manager asked him to leave,” Cousineau wrote, citing the server’s written account of the incident. Rey was fired after the incident, in part because he was “aggressive, rude and disrespectful” to the manager and server, according to the complaint. During his firing, Rey told the general manager that he believed he was being terminated because of his French culture.

Ok, so someone wasn't doing their job and got yelled at. How is the yelling the bigger issue here? 

#13 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

Because people shouldn't yell in the workplace, unless it's to warn of imminent danger.

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

And that is the point - your opinion (and the company policy that embodies it) discriminates against people with almost any cultural background. When someone from almost anywhere south of the Catholic line would be faced with the situation described, it's quite likely that they would yell or be otherwise rude.

And I say that never having yelled at an employee.

#15 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

Are you suggesting that "yeller" is a protected class? There are plenty of things I've felt like doing in the workplace that I would've gotten fired for, but I wouldn't dream of suggesting that they were culturally determined.