14 replies to this topic

#1 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:16 PM

The Oklahoma Center for the Humanities is staging Oklahoma! with an all African-American cast.  I'm looking forward to the performance. 

https://humanities.utulsa.edu/2018/03/27/homelands-different-lens-oklahoma-concert/ 

Oklahoma! in Concert was chosen based on the OCH theme of Homelands and the historic all-black towns that once thrived, and still, to some extent, survive here in the state. The discussion with the cast about an all-black Oklahoma! turned to excitement. Everyone needs their own space. Their own place to belong. Where is your beginning? Where is your start? For most of us, it meant a place where you can grow while surrounded by people who are like you. Home is what you make it, and it’s what makes you.

"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:25 PM

Curly!

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,559 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:29 PM

I met one of the Stars of the Upcoming Production at St Ann's warehouse.. Tickets are booking fast! 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:25 PM

Oklahoma and Carousel are bursting out all over, the last few years. Of course they are the pinnacle of that particular form along with West Side Story.

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,915 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:28 PM

This is not your father's Oklahoma!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:04 AM

Which one? 😁

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,915 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:25 AM

The one coming to St. Anne’s.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:51 PM

The one coming to St. Anne’s.

Saw this on Saturday. It was excellent.

Loved the orchestration for the dream ballet.

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,915 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:41 PM

WARNING:  SPOILERS AHEAD

I hated this until the end.

I hated the way the orchestrations seemed to try to use the worst counter-cultural tropes -- post-Burritos country rock, singer-songwriter "sincerity" -- as markers for "authenticity" in a work that's as inauthentic as can be, pure Northeastern Urban Centrist-Liberal Showbiz Corn (patronizing people in the South Central region -- no wonder they've now rebelled).  I was so offended by the faux Hendrix music in the dream ballet that I almost walked out.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't.  Because the revised ending -- where Curly becomes a murderer, and the trumped-up trial that absolves him a kangaroo court by which the community acts to favor its pet over a pariah -- showed that the creative team actually was subverting this horrible piece of smug complacent shit rather than lamely trying to modernize it.

I still don't know if I'm happy I sat through it.  There were a lot of other ways I could have used those three hours.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:50 PM

It’s not shit because of the score. But I guess I would need to see that ending.

Ersatz is right, although I still give first place to the genius Yip Harburg, who came up with “Glocca Morra” based on “glucke morgen.”

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,915 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:03 AM

To be clear, I don't think the erstatz is necessarily bad in art:  I mean, it's art, you know?

I do object greatly to faux "authenticity", though.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:06 AM

Yes, copy you on that. (Hate that phrase.)

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:07 AM

Anyone gives me faux Hendrix in the ballet from “Carousel” I am out of the door faster than when I found out Melissa Errico’s understudy was performing in “Dracula.”

#14 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 PM

WARNING:  SPOILERS AHEAD

I hated this until the end.

I hated the way the orchestrations seemed to try to use the worst counter-cultural tropes -- post-Burritos country rock, singer-songwriter "sincerity" -- as markers for "authenticity" in a work that's as inauthentic as can be, pure Northeastern Urban Centrist-Liberal Showbiz Corn (patronizing people in the South Central region -- no wonder they've now rebelled).  I was so offended by the faux Hendrix music in the dream ballet that I almost walked out.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't.  Because the revised ending -- where Curly becomes a murderer, and the trumped-up trial that absolves him a kangaroo court by which the community acts to favor its pet over a pariah -- showed that the creative team actually was subverting this horrible piece of smug complacent shit rather than lamely trying to modernize it.

I still don't know if I'm happy I sat through it.  There were a lot of other ways I could have used those three hours.

To be fair, during the staging of  pore jud is daid you could tell that Curly was a possible sociopath and that things were...unwell.

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,915 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:29 PM

You’re right. That’s the other part I liked.
Bar Loser

MF Old