4 replies to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,311 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:45 AM

Spielberg's latest based on the novel of the same name.  Mark Rylance portrays a virtual world inventor who somewhat resembles Steve Jobs.  Prior to his death he planted an Easter Egg in the virtual world (Oasis).  The action concerns a competitive hunt for the egg.  The film is an amazing gamer nerd fest.  It's filled with gaming and pop culture references.  You don't need to be a gamer to enjoy this.  There a great extended sequence riffing on The Shining.  The set design and set decoration are top drawer.  I happened to see the 3D format which I think this picture justifies.  You'll want the large popcorn.

Then that happened.

#2 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,311 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:21 AM

Amusing Doritos product placement.

Then that happened.

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,311 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:41 PM

Some analysis of the Rylance character, the nostalgia in the film, and spoilers.  https://www.vox.com/...pielberg-review

Then that happened.

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

I read the book last year.  Amazon popped it up as a Kindle suggestion.  I read a fair amount of science fiction and the premise seemed appealing.   The book got off to a fine start but somewhere in the middle it lost direction, as if the author ran out of ideas.

When I heard that Spielberg was making it into a movie I was pleased - he never runs out of ideas.  I'm looking forward to watching it but I'll skip the spoilers.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,311 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:14 PM

Haven't read the book, but I'm told that the film glosses over certain elements in the book and clearly adds a number of pop references dear to Spielberg.  Not sure whose idea it was but it was fun to see the return of the Iron Giant.

Then that happened.