Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

He sure was. :(

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#3 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

He had a huge impact.  There's a direct line from Hill Street Blues to Homicide - Life on the Street to the Sopranos and the Wire.

Remember, the 1970s started off with godawful stuff like Barnaby Jones and Mannix.  Adam 12.  He was one of the people that took TV in another direction.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#4 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:28 PM

What was wrong with Barnaby Jones?!?! I liked it. I was probably 7, but I liked it. I liked Quincy and Emergency!, too!

#5 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:15 PM

What was wrong with Barnaby Jones?!?! I liked it. I was probably 7, but I liked it.

The fact that you enjoyed it as a 7 year old says it all.  "Barnaby Jones" was a cartoon, fully accessible to a 7 year old.  It was a pretty basic cartoon too - not like Bugs Bunny which was intended to be enjoyed by adults.  No, it was more like Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound. 

"Hill Street Blues" pointed the way to the future.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#6 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:29 PM

I want to be clear.  Not every show needs to challenge its audience and have 7 different continuing subplots.  A lot of the time I like that type of thing (assuming they're well written) but there's plenty of room for more basic shows.  In fact 95% of what's on TV is really basic.

I just like the idea that now we have alternatives.  In the 1970s we didn't.

#7 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,793 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:57 PM

Name is misspelled though. Bochco. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#8 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,806 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:32 PM

Name is misspelled though. Bochco. 

Good catch

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali