#17 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,337 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:49 PM

Obviously no burger yet on the menu.

And the steak they were serving, au poivre the other night, was a flank.

#18 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,770 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:03 PM

It brought in customers who split a burger between two people and called it dinner. Which cant be good for the restaurant

I may not have owned Minetta, but I have eyes. And am not a moron. Oddly, sometimes I even chat with chefs.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#19 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,904 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:15 AM

It brought in customers who split a burger between two people and called it dinner. Which cant be good for the restaurant

I may not have owned Minetta, but I have eyes. And am not a moron. Oddly, sometimes I even chat with chefs.

And what proportion of customers did that? You have eyes, sure, but were you there every minute they were open to see what happened with all burger orders? and what else might have been ordered by the table?

Of course you're not a moron. But it's not accurate to generalize/extrapolate from only your observations.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#20 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:34 AM

I was there twice and did it both times.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#21 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:35 AM

And lots of others seem to do it too, especially on dates.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#22 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,904 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:48 AM

That's still not statistically significant.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#23 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,772 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

By the end of it, over 50% of covers were burgers. I imagine the number is even higher at the zombie restaurant. I can't tell you how many are shared, nor do I think you know what statistical significance is, but even if every diner gets a burger the result is similar (and indeed the conclusion is there's no need for an expensive kitchen team)
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#24 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,770 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:53 AM

I had completely forgotten Batard.

I just ate in Batard. Dont forget Batard.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#25 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,770 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

To belabor the point, if you're the OWNER of Minetta, maybe you're delighted that you can make loads of money selling burgers without having anyone actually COOK anything. But if you're the former chefs there, having essentially been rendered redundant by the burger's predominance, unless you're totally greedy maybe you think that at YOUR restaurant you won't let that happen again.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#26 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

This begs the question of what motivates someone to open, i.e., financially back, a restaurant.    Cooks/chefs for the love of cooking.    But what's in it for owners besides ego if the place resonates, like backing a play.    There are many financial vehicles with better odds.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#27 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

Minetta is a place, for many people who are downtown, and think "I want a good burger !",and then they come to Minetta,free to change their minds and order something else when they get there ,no pressure....why not ?  I go there for lunch, often for...a burger ! with great frites ,and there are tourists who come there just for that, locals ,whatever....burgers on most tables from my observations. I felt the same way about olive oil gelato, but tuff shit...money talks.

Stung by Nettles

#28 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,904 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:32 PM

McNally is also not a moron (at least not at running restaurants). You don't menu an item if you don't want to sell it. And you want to sell as much as possible--although maybe not items that require superexpensive ingredients and/or a lot of labor, unless you can price them high enough. A burger is a low-cost, high-profit item, so selling lots of them is good for the bottom line. I would expect that he's done the analysis, and if it pointed to not making much money selling burgers, he'd pull it.

Why the hell else are so many fancy chefs opening burger places? Because they don't want to be "creative"? Or because they want to make money?

#29 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,770 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, but this isn't McNally's restaurant.  This is the restaurant of the chefs the Minetta burger forced out.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#30 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,009 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

It is an issue for chefs, who think it's not an expression of their skill; and it is an issue for owners, who need to make money.  It's not either/or.  

Above all, it's an issue for Lex, because the burger needs to be priced not much less than a full entree.