1016 replies to this topic

#61 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,247 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:14 PM

I think in this context passion is a better word than vision. Vision without passion is a suped up burger.

Passion without vision Is the best Bolognese sauce you ever tasted.

I don't see that passion is very meaningful.   You can be passionate and still kind of suck.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#62 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,247 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

Does the first syllable rhyme with "wrench" or "conch"? That's what's concerning me.

David Johansen pronounced it so it rhymed with "wrench".

Bar Loser

MF Old

#63 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,270 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:19 AM

Let the record show I randomly dragged Lex into this with burger mockery.

#64 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,270 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:21 AM

I think in this context passion is a better word than vision. Vision without passion is a suped up burger.

I don't see that passion is very meaningful.   You can be passionate and still kind of suck.

This applies to almost all poetry ever written by anyone.

#65 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,270 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:23 AM

Does the first syllable rhyme with "wrench" or "conch"? That's what's concerning me.

But Pepe le Pew?

#66 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:21 AM

Im going to guess that Dave Santos would disagree with you.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#67 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:45 AM

I'm just hoping for 10 pages before anyone has a meal here.

(though to be honest, 2 friends with good food knowledge like it a lot).  

Lex managed over 50 messages on the MT thread without ever having eaten there. Do you think he can beat the record discussing a non-existent burger at Frenchette?
When you were going to Minetta Tavern 3 times a week in prime time to your reserved table walking past the crowds how did that work? Did you call McNally directly or did you set up a direct deposit to his bank account for $5,000 a week?

We'd love to know your secret.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#68 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:15 AM

I'm just hoping for 10 pages before anyone has a meal here.

(though to be honest, 2 friends with good food knowledge like it a lot).  

Lex managed over 50 messages on the MT thread without ever having eaten there. Do you think he can beat the record discussing a non-existent burger at Frenchette?
When you were going to Minetta Tavern 3 times a week in prime time to your reserved table walking past the crowds how did that work? Did you call McNally directly or did you set up a direct deposit to his bank account for $5,000 a week?

We'd love to know your secret.
Looking at my records, I went about 30 times, every 2-3 weeks, and after some number of times was given the number to make reservations somewhat easier, but given I usually reserved on short notice this usually meant 30 minutes to an hour earlier than otherwise possible, more if I had a week's notice. I trust this satisfies your curiosity.

Now tell me why you comment obsessively about a place you never went and just kept bashing on the wrong theory that you couldn't get into, despite being told otherwise? Seems kooky.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#69 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,247 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

But Pepe le Pew?

But the restaurant's name doesn't quote Pepe le Pew.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#70 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,247 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:56 AM

Im going to guess that Dave Santos would disagree with you.

You think Dave Santos doesn't think you can have a lot of passion but no ideas, no skills, and no talent?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#71 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:53 PM

See also: "made with love."

#72 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

To me, "passion" in this context refers to the compulsive thoughtfulness about product and process that results in extraordinary dishes and plating.    The kind that results in diners' asking "How did they come up with this?" or "How did they execute such a superior version of a classic?"

The kind of sensibility that can't be taught by culinary schools or learned by experience.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#73 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

I just meant to say (the obvious),that the burgers pay for the rabbit liver,that only 8 people will order,on the menu at many places. When you have a bunch of avocado gelato that you may have to throw out,despite 10 chefs and food nicks liking what you do,you have to do the dishes that keep the restaurant solvent...and you Can be passionate about putting out a consistent product month after month. That’s your um,duty.....
Stung by Nettles

#74 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

I just meant to say (the obvious),that the burgers pay for the rabbit liver,that only 8 people will order,on the menu at many places. When you have a bunch of avocado gelato that you may have to throw out,despite 10 chefs and food nicks liking what you do,you have to do the dishes that keep the restaurant solvent...and you Can be passionate about putting out a consistent product month after month. That’s your um,duty.....

LIKE!

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#75 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

Not every restaurant is Otto.

Admin note: edited comment.