4 replies to this topic

#1 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,824 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:51 AM

Produced by Red Bull Theater (whose production of The Government Inspector we greatly enjoyed a few months ago) at The Duke, on 42nd Street.

This is another of David Ives's "translaptations" of a French play, this one from 1738. In verse, about verse. Basically a French version of commedia dell'arte: young lovers, warring fathers, cunning servants, mistaken identities. This one has mistaken identities on steroids. Not for purists who object to contemporary 21st-century references in their 18th-century plays. David Ives is absolutely brilliant, and we just about busted a gut laughing at both very broad and pretty subtle jokes.

Runs through May 26. See it.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,428 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:31 AM

I have never walked out of an Ives "transladaption" of a French Baroque comedy without a painfully busted gut.  (That's a GOOD thing.)  Can't wait to see this one.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,824 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:28 PM

Forgot to say: The acting is great--broad and self-aware, as you would expect, but not painfully so. I'd had the idea that Michael Kahn was not so good a director (maybe received from friends at Juilliard?), but the direction was just right here.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,824 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

Also: before the show started, Ives was chatting with a guy sitting directly in front of us. Paul and I had been talking about how much we love his plays (well, I was not crazy about Venus in Fur, but Paul loved it) and were trying to remember the protagonist of New Jerusalem. Ives graciously allowed us to interrupt, and chatted with us briefly after reminding us (it's Spinoza).

#5 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,502 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:59 AM

Great to hear that you liked it. Seeing this on Tuesday.

There's a pretty nice discount available on tickets through the 26th.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.