5 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:17 PM

Well this is insane/hilarious. A chain Izakaya connected to fish farms in Japan on lex and 36th is selling whole fish from Tsukiji from a small iced case at the front of their bar.  A kinmedai was $200 and he was kind of open to selling me a "display" huge red snapper that the thought was a day too old for $50 that looked much much nicer than anything else you would see around town. I ended up buying a bunch of Nodoguro/Black throated Sea perch for 20/per that were wonderful. 

I mean this won't last and I'm not sure it should, but its def worth an entertaining check in if you are in the nabe.

(they don't really know what they want to do or what they need to do to sell this fish to americans - like they were asking me how I was planning on butchering the red snapper, and when I didn't have a good answer beyond "Uh I might filet it?"  it was clear to me they wanted to sell the me Nodoguro which had already been prepared for the grill)

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#2 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

This is the second mention of this place I've seen in the last few days. The first was from a guy who makes sushi at home.

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,103 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:32 PM

Thanks! (kind of funny that the sushi on their insta feed seems like generic farm to freezer stuff) 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:50 PM

This is the second mention of this place I've seen in the last few days. The first was from a guy who makes sushi at home.

that's where I learned about it, but it turns out they did get a PR blurb in the times.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,437 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:45 PM

I guess its for people who shop in midtown? Or pick up something for dinner after lunch?

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,103 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:55 PM

We stopped by and had a nice chat with the chef (owner?). There were some whole fish in the display today (Buri, Madai, Sea Bass, some sort of snapper) but they were for display only as they're not from today and only good enough for Yoshoku preps*, and he'd be reluctant to charge full prices for them...

Uni from Maine, some salt dried fish from Japan  - Hokke, etc. looked to be of better quality than what you usually see around town. There were also Hotaru Ika but that's the one thing in the world Sivan is allergic to, and I think they were the pre-cooked variety, so not quite as interesting. 

He wasn't offering a date when there'll be a fresh shipment so I didn't force the issue. 

* kind of funny as they were clearly fresher than anything that went through Hunts Point

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns